Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Other Metal Antiquities (Moderator: otlichnik)  |  Topic: Bronze blade found in 1960s Fish scaler? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bronze blade found in 1960s Fish scaler?  (Read 191 times)
sfhmgusa
Praetorian

« on: July 14, 2019, 05:22:55 am »

Hi

This blade was found in the River Irk in Manchester England in the 1960s after a fairly major flood washed out a lot of the river banks.
It looks as if it is bronze, and to my untutored eye looks as if it has never really been sharp, the only edge that may have been is the short front edge

does anyone recognise what it is? I guess a fish  de-scaler but it really is a guess, and because it is bronze and seems "hand made" I am putting it in antiquarian age rather than past 2-300 years, but
I know nothing of things like this so would welcome any expert opinion

I have attached a whole object view and a close up if that helps

thanks

Steve
otlichnik
Tribunus Plebis 2016
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 12:39:02 pm »

Interesting item.  I have never seen any Roman item like this nor does the engraving look Roman so my guess would be medieval or later.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)
PMah
Consul

Still Rusty in 2019

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 10:20:05 pm »

Interesting patterm.  I doubt that it could be determined to be a "fish descaler", as modern cooks and anglers use the the back of an ordinary knife for that. 

sfhmgusa
Praetorian

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 06:37:44 am »

Thank you

that is really helpful, I tend to agree that ish scaling is a bit of a luxury thought! Smiley

Steve
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Other Metal Antiquities (Moderator: otlichnik)  |  Topic: Bronze blade found in 1960s Fish scaler? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop