Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: I need help to identify a coin please  (Read 420 times)

Offline Paul L

• Praetorian
I need help to identify a coin please
« on: July 15, 2019, 07:51:33 am »
I have this coin that is proving a tough one for me to identify. The weight is 0.97 gm and 13mm diam and bronze. I hope someone can help me as I have got to a stage where I am not even sure what the pictures on each side are.

Thanks

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: I need help to identify a coin please
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 08:45:54 am »
There's a big hole in the coin in the second picture but none in the first ??  Same coin??

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 08:49:28 am »
I think that's just an indentation with a sandy coloured patina ?

Offline Paul L

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 09:23:03 am »
Yes that’s right, it’s an indentation that happens to have the same colour as the table.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 09:30:47 am »
Ah OK, the same colour has fooled me.

About the coin:

The first picture shows a standing figure who places her left hand on a shield set on ground, and a second figure next to it with her arm raised. This might be an emperor standing, crowned by victory ??

This depiction is often found on late roman folles, but the obverse looks not like an official emperors bust. Inofficial?? Or something completely different ??

Offline Paul L

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 03:10:46 am »
Thanks Shanxi,
                       for the moment I think I will call it an imitation of a 4th/5th cent roman coin.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity