Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bronze blade found in 1960s Fish scaler?  (Read 958 times)

Offline sfhmgusa

• Praetorian
Bronze blade found in 1960s Fish scaler?
« on: July 14, 2019, 07:22:55 am »
Hi

This blade was found in the River Irk in Manchester England in the 1960s after a fairly major flood washed out a lot of the river banks.
It looks as if it is bronze, and to my untutored eye looks as if it has never really been sharp, the only edge that may have been is the short front edge

does anyone recognise what it is? I guess a fish  de-scaler but it really is a guess, and because it is bronze and seems "hand made" I am putting it in antiquarian age rather than past 2-300 years, but
I know nothing of things like this so would welcome any expert opinion

I have attached a whole object view and a close up if that helps

thanks

Steve

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Bronze blade found in 1960s Fish scaler?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 02:39:02 pm »
Interesting item.  I have never seen any Roman item like this nor does the engraving look Roman so my guess would be medieval or later.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 12:20:05 am »
Interesting patterm.  I doubt that it could be determined to be a "fish descaler", as modern cooks and anglers use the the back of an ordinary knife for that. 
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline sfhmgusa

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 08:37:44 am »
 Thank you

that is really helpful, I tend to agree that ish scaling is a bit of a luxury thought! :)

Steve

All coins are guaranteed for eternity