Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Can someone please tell me what the reverse of this coin says?  (Read 470 times)

Offline Douglas B2

• Praetorian
First off, I need to let you know, this IS NOT my coin and I have no intentions of acquiring it.  I need to know what the reverse says though.  I have a coin in terrible condition with the same reverse legend.  I cannot get a good enough image to post my coin, so I am using this coin with the same reverse.  Thank you.

Doug

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Can someone please tell me what the reverse of this coin says?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 01:13:48 am »
Maybe ΠΥΡΓΑΙΩΝ = Perga, Pamphylia
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Douglas B2

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 01:28:57 am »
That easily could be it.  I now have a place to start my research.  In hand, here is what the letters appear to be.  I am no expert and could easily be wrong though.

:Greek_Pi_3: :Greek_epsilon:  :Greek_Rho: :Greek_Gamma:

:Greek_Iota:  :Greek_Omega: :Greek_Nu:

I really appreciate your help on this.  Thank You.

Doug

Offline Douglas B2

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 01:36:47 am »
You were right!  Here is an example from MA Shops with the same reverse as my coin!  Once again, I REALLY appreciate your help.

Doug

[LINK TO COMMERCIAL SITE REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 03:33:35 am »
... Here is an example from MA Shops with the same reverse as my coin! ...
Not really  :-\.

On your coin you have a Tyche with rudder and cornucopia, on the linked one it is a Herakles.

Regards

Altamura

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 05:00:36 am »
@Altamura

Congratulations on your promotion. Hail Caesar !

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 05:11:32 am »
Thanks!

Nice, I wouldn't have seen it  :).

The coin here, by the way, ist from Philippus II:
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=679286
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=5136448

Regards

Altamura

Offline Douglas B2

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 02:53:28 pm »
You are absolutely correct as it does have a different reverse.  I was horrible with my wording.  I was only talking about the same legend.  I don't own the coin in the original image.  I have a very rough provincial with the same reverse legend.  I was searching for a coin with the same reverse legend to assist in my identifying of it.  I found it, but is was just listed as unidentified.

I really appreciate the help.  BTW - if the original coin is still for sale, I am going to purchase it as I don't have a Philip II in my collection.

Thank you everyone for all of your help.  I really appreciate it.  My hope is that one day I will have the knowledge to be able to assist others in identifying their coins.

Doug

Offline Anaximander

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 08:01:58 am »
So, after all was said and done, the legend was this (as gleaned from one of the two external links):

Obverse: AV K M IOV CЄOV ΦIΛIΠΠOC CЄY
Reverse: ΠΕΡΓΑΙΩΝ

Pamphylia, Perge. Philip II. A.D. 247-249. AE 25. AV K M IOV CЄOV ΦIΛIΠΠOC (C)ЄY(? sic.), laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Philip right, globe(?) beneath / ΠΕΡΓ-ΑΙΩΝ, Tyche, wearing kalathos on head, standing facing, head left, holding rudder and cornucopiae.

Quite the challenge to identify, initially, and good sleuthing.  I'm new to the site, and I'm impressed by the effective collective online wisdom.  +++
ChrisT
Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity