Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantius II - Campgates: Cannot find the legend  (Read 343 times)

Offline palves

• Consul
Constantius II - Campgates: Cannot find the legend
« on: July 09, 2019, 05:25:09 pm »
Hi guys,

I am struggling to find a classification for this obverse legend. It should be FL IVL CONSTANTIVS NOB, but I cannot see the C.

Constantius II (325-326 AD)
AE3   
FL IVL CONSTANTIVS NOB, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust left   
PROVIDEN-TIAE CAESS, Campgate with two turrets, no doors; star above. Mintmark SMHГ   
RIC VII Heraclea 78

Thanks in advance

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
Re: Constantius II - Campgates: Cannot find the legend
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 03:10:20 am »
It's hard to see but I think the "C" is merged into the end of one of those ties on the back of the diadem or a piece of the cuirass.

Offline palves

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 03:34:24 am »
It's hard to see but I think the "C" is merged into the end of one of those ties on the back of the diadem or a piece of the cuirass.

Thanks.
Microscope image. In fact, seems to be something there.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 07:01:52 am »
Yes--I think the engraver just ran out of room and awkwardly fit the C in among the drapery.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity