Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantius II - Campgates: Cannot find the legend  (Read 345 times)

Offline palves

• Consul
Constantius II - Campgates: Cannot find the legend
« on: July 09, 2019, 05:25:09 pm »
Hi guys,

I am struggling to find a classification for this obverse legend. It should be FL IVL CONSTANTIVS NOB, but I cannot see the C.

Constantius II (325-326 AD)
AE3   
FL IVL CONSTANTIVS NOB, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust left   
PROVIDEN-TIAE CAESS, Campgate with two turrets, no doors; star above. Mintmark SMHГ   
RIC VII Heraclea 78

Thanks in advance

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
Re: Constantius II - Campgates: Cannot find the legend
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 03:10:20 am »
It's hard to see but I think the "C" is merged into the end of one of those ties on the back of the diadem or a piece of the cuirass.

Offline palves

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 03:34:24 am »
It's hard to see but I think the "C" is merged into the end of one of those ties on the back of the diadem or a piece of the cuirass.

Thanks.
Microscope image. In fact, seems to be something there.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 07:01:52 am »
Yes--I think the engraver just ran out of room and awkwardly fit the C in among the drapery.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity