Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING!!! WE ARE OPEN AND SHIPPING!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958 Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING!!! WE ARE OPEN AND SHIPPING!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Fibulae and Clothing Items (Moderators: otlichnik, Jay GT4)  |  Topic: Ring, Roman, Men's, Legio VII Claudia 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ring, Roman, Men's, Legio VII Claudia  (Read 1218 times)
Mayadigger
Caesar

Romans, lock your wives way!

« on: April 23, 2018, 04:35:56 pm »

Ave!

Ring, Roman, Men's, Legio VII Claudia

Silver alloy; 6.0gm/ Ring Size 7 1/4

Con/ sound and wearable; shoulder type, ca. 3rd Cent AD

As seen in the photo, this extraordinary rare ring is inscribed VII on the bezel which equates to Legio VII Claudia, the Roman legion garrisoned in the city of Viminacium, Moesia Superior. For those of you familiar with the provincial issues from Viminacium, Legio VII's emblem was a bull.

This ring was certainly not made by a jeweler, but rather by the garrison's smith/armorer as side business. The smith cast the ring flat in a mold then wrapped the two ends together, added solder and hammered it closed to size. Such incribed Roman legion rings are quite rare.

Enjoy the photo!

Best to all,

Kevin

"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"
Peter B6
Legionary

Peter Barker

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 04:35:45 pm »

Not sure where it was bought but the world of fake antiquities is awash with these. In reality, i.e. the Roman period there are no excavated parallels! A bit like all the fake galley brooches and gladiator brooches too, yuk!
Mayadigger
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 03:17:01 pm »

Ave!

Quote from: Peter B6 on January 16, 2020, 04:35:45 pm
Not sure where it was bought but the world of fake antiquities is awash with these. In reality, i.e. the Roman period there are no excavated parallels! A bit like all the fake galley brooches and gladiator brooches too, yuk!

Sorry, but I beg to differ with you, Peter, but this ring is not a fake and I did not buy it. I was actually boots-on-the-ground the day it was found in a farm field, just south of the River Drava. The other side of the river is Serbia = the Viminacium connection.

Best regards,

Kevin

Jay GT4
IMPERATOR
Caesar

Leave the gun, take the Canoli!

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 03:23:44 pm »

Smiley

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=18312

IG: @artisan.flooring
J. Grande
Mayadigger
Caesar

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 03:56:30 pm »

Ave Jay GT4,

Thanks for the  Smiley

I was about to get really ugly...but held myself back, ya know?  Lips Sealed

Thumbs Up

Best,

Kevin

Jay GT4
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 03:58:19 pm »

How about you post a galley brooch or Gladiator?  Grin

J. Grande
Mayadigger
Caesar

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 04:25:56 pm »

Ave Jay,

Interesting that you mentioned gladiators, my friend.  Cool

Last December, our unique Balkan source sent me an iron sica blade. Yes, a sica knife blade in very sound condition (when I clicked with a finger it still thumbed), enough so that it is now in the hands of our do-it-all smith amigo. He is now under the process of conserving the metal. Once done, he'll add the hilt with old bone and wood. RU Kidding me?

Wow!

Best regards,

Kevin

Jay GT4
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 06:45:19 pm »

Shocked

J. Grande
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Fibulae and Clothing Items (Moderators: otlichnik, Jay GT4)  |  Topic: Ring, Roman, Men's, Legio VII Claudia « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop