Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING!!! WE ARE OPEN AND SHIPPING!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958 Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING!!! WE ARE OPEN AND SHIPPING!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Seals and Tesserae (Moderators: Gert, Ardatirion)  |  Topic: ISAAKIOS? Byzantine Lead Seal 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ISAAKIOS? Byzantine Lead Seal  (Read 413 times)
v-drome
Caesar

« on: June 29, 2019, 11:47:13 am »

Hi, all.  Here is an apparently uncommon monogram on an early Byzantine seal from Caesarea Maritima.  Using the names listed in the on-line Prosopography of the Byzantine World, and cross-referencing to the Dumbarton Oaks Collection, I have identified two possibilities, but no similar monograms.  ISAAKIOS (Isaac) seems to be the more common name, but mostly from the 10th-12th century.  I was able to see a 6th-7th century seal bearing the inscribed name, and another with a monogram for "Isaac chartoularios".  I did not find seals for ALAKASIOS.  Any additional information or possibilities would be appreciated.  Thanks, V-drome

Lead Seal
Caesarea Maritima
5th-6th Century CE
Obv: Facing portrait, nimbate,
Mother and Child. Cross to left.
Rev: Block monogram with Greek letters:
A, C, K, Ι, O, Υ, Λ?, ?, ?,
16 x 14.5mm. 5.39gm. Axis:0

ALAKASIOS? (OY)
ISAAKIOS? (OY)
(click for larger pic)
Gert
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 05:15:25 am »

Hi V-drome,

I don't think you need the help of this board anymore! Again, you came up with a pretty certain attribution. This belonged to a person with the Hebrew name Isaac (Gr. Isaakios). Possibly, he was a converted Jew, or he just bore a common name of the region. Style and fabric indicate a date well before the Arab conquest, circa 2nd half 6 century to 1st half 7th century.

Best regards
Gert

v-drome
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 12:56:54 am »

Thanks, again, Gert.  It took me more than two full days to figure this one out, and I greatly appreciate your confirmation and additional info.  Unfortunately, the seals I have left to work on are seeming more and more difficult due to condition and complexity.  I pick the easiest ones, first! Grin

Jimi
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Seals and Tesserae (Moderators: Gert, Ardatirion)  |  Topic: ISAAKIOS? Byzantine Lead Seal « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop