Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Seals and Tesserae (Moderators: Gert, Ardatirion)  |  Topic: ISAAKIOS? Byzantine Lead Seal 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ISAAKIOS? Byzantine Lead Seal  (Read 122 times)
v-drome
Caesar

« on: June 29, 2019, 11:47:13 am »

Hi, all.  Here is an apparently uncommon monogram on an early Byzantine seal from Caesarea Maritima.  Using the names listed in the on-line Prosopography of the Byzantine World, and cross-referencing to the Dumbarton Oaks Collection, I have identified two possibilities, but no similar monograms.  ISAAKIOS (Isaac) seems to be the more common name, but mostly from the 10th-12th century.  I was able to see a 6th-7th century seal bearing the inscribed name, and another with a monogram for "Isaac chartoularios".  I did not find seals for ALAKASIOS.  Any additional information or possibilities would be appreciated.  Thanks, V-drome

Lead Seal
Caesarea Maritima
5th-6th Century CE
Obv: Facing portrait, nimbate,
Mother and Child. Cross to left.
Rev: Block monogram with Greek letters:
A, C, K, Ι, O, Υ, Λ?, ?, ?,
16 x 14.5mm. 5.39gm. Axis:0

ALAKASIOS? (OY)
ISAAKIOS? (OY)
(click for larger pic)
Gert
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 05:15:25 am »

Hi V-drome,

I don't think you need the help of this board anymore! Again, you came up with a pretty certain attribution. This belonged to a person with the Hebrew name Isaac (Gr. Isaakios). Possibly, he was a converted Jew, or he just bore a common name of the region. Style and fabric indicate a date well before the Arab conquest, circa 2nd half 6 century to 1st half 7th century.

Best regards
Gert

v-drome
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 12:56:54 am »

Thanks, again, Gert.  It took me more than two full days to figure this one out, and I greatly appreciate your confirmation and additional info.  Unfortunately, the seals I have left to work on are seeming more and more difficult due to condition and complexity.  I pick the easiest ones, first! Grin

Jimi
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Seals and Tesserae (Moderators: Gert, Ardatirion)  |  Topic: ISAAKIOS? Byzantine Lead Seal « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop