Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING UNTIL 3 SEPTEMBER Layaway and reserve are not available during the sale. Shop now and save! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING UNTIL 3 SEPTEMBER Shop now and save! Please support Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Seals and Tesserae (Moderators: Gert, Ardatirion)  |  Topic: Unusual Byzantine Seal with Jeweled/Beaded Crosses 20.11 mm 7.0g 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unusual Byzantine Seal with Jeweled/Beaded Crosses 20.11 mm 7.0g  (Read 124 times)
pogh_poor
Caesar

I love this forum!

« on: July 06, 2019, 05:22:48 am »

I am working on identifying an unusual - uncommon (at least to me)  Byzantine seal with jeweled/beaded crosses on both sides.  It measures 20.11mm and weighs 7 g.

On the first side, there is a jeweled/beaded cross within a beaded circle with  A3  Greek_Omega  (possibly though it has some damage)  Greek_Eta  Greek_Nu within the arms of the cross
On the second side, there is a jeweled/beaded cross within a beaded circle with   Greek_Kappa or X   (possibly though it has some damage)  : Greek_Lambda C   Greek_epsilon within the arms of the cross.

I haven't seen a similar seal.  It looks a bit like the anonymous follis of Romanus IV.  Any help would be appreciated.  Pogh_poor

All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.
pogh_poor
Caesar

I love this forum!

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 06:28:52 am »

I found a seal with somewhat a similar cross on the obverse in the Dumbarton Oaks collection  (Seal of) Leontios  Pogh_poor

All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Seals and Tesserae (Moderators: Gert, Ardatirion)  |  Topic: Unusual Byzantine Seal with Jeweled/Beaded Crosses 20.11 mm 7.0g « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop