Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ISAAKIOS? Byzantine Lead Seal  (Read 806 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
ISAAKIOS? Byzantine Lead Seal
« on: June 29, 2019, 01:47:13 pm »
Hi, all.  Here is an apparently uncommon monogram on an early Byzantine seal from Caesarea Maritima.  Using the names listed in the on-line Prosopography of the Byzantine World, and cross-referencing to the Dumbarton Oaks Collection, I have identified two possibilities, but no similar monograms.  ISAAKIOS (Isaac) seems to be the more common name, but mostly from the 10th-12th century.  I was able to see a 6th-7th century seal bearing the inscribed name, and another with a monogram for "Isaac chartoularios".  I did not find seals for ALAKASIOS.  Any additional information or possibilities would be appreciated.  Thanks, V-drome

Lead Seal
Caesarea Maritima
5th-6th Century CE
Obv: Facing portrait, nimbate,
Mother and Child. Cross to left.
Rev: Block monogram with Greek letters:
A, C, K, Ι, O, Υ, Λ?, ?, ?,
16 x 14.5mm. 5.39gm. Axis:0

ALAKASIOS? (OY)
ISAAKIOS? (OY)
(click for larger pic)

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: ISAAKIOS? Byzantine Lead Seal
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 07:15:25 am »
Hi V-drome,

I don't think you need the help of this board anymore! Again, you came up with a pretty certain attribution. This belonged to a person with the Hebrew name Isaac (Gr. Isaakios). Possibly, he was a converted Jew, or he just bore a common name of the region. Style and fabric indicate a date well before the Arab conquest, circa 2nd half 6 century to 1st half 7th century.

Best regards
Gert

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Re: ISAAKIOS? Byzantine Lead Seal
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 02:56:54 am »
Thanks, again, Gert.  It took me more than two full days to figure this one out, and I greatly appreciate your confirmation and additional info.  Unfortunately, the seals I have left to work on are seeming more and more difficult due to condition and complexity.  I pick the easiest ones, first! ;D

Jimi

All coins are guaranteed for eternity