Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coins of the Procurators, Minted in Jerusalem or Caesarea?  (Read 1191 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Coins of the Procurators, Minted in Jerusalem or Caesarea?
« on: June 25, 2019, 03:45:14 pm »
Is there a consensus regarding the location of the mint that produced the coins of the procurators?  Were some produced at Jerusalem, and others at Caesarea?  Thanks, for any opinions.

V-drome

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Re: Coins of the Procurators, Minted in Jerusalem or Caesarea?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 09:29:11 pm »
As I understand, Caesarea has been the presumed mint of the procuratorial coins by many numismatists since it was the seat of the Roman governors.

Kushnir-Stein notes in INJ 14 that most (all?) Judaean bronzes from Jerusalem were struck on bevelled flans ("Some observations on Palestinian coins with a bevelled edge"). Since procuratorial prutot were also struck on bevelled flans, she is suggests they too were struck in Jerusalem.

Jerusalem had a sporadically functional mint from the time of Hyrcanus I until at least Archelaus, so it would have made sense to simply continue minting coins such moulds were uncovered in Caesarea (see Ariel's 2012 study "Judean Perspectives of Ancient Mints and Minting Technology," INR 7). Consequently I find Jerusalem to be a more likely mint than Caesarea for procuratorial prutot.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline 77HK77

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 05:38:55 pm »
Meshorer felt the character, technique and design of the Procurators coins closely followed Herod's minting style, placing the mint in Jerusalem. (TJC p176)

He mentions two other pieces of evidence. The very different style of later Caesarea coins and the finding of a discarded Pilate coin with the casting sprue intact in Jerusalem

It does lean toward Jerusalem

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 03:18:12 am »
Thank you, Aarmale and 77HK77.  I am working on adding a number of Judaean coins to my gallery that were minted in Jerusalem and found at Caesarea.  Your information is very helpful.

Best regards, Jimi

All coins are guaranteed for eternity