Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Very Small, Crude Archelaus Prutah  (Read 1054 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Very Small, Crude Archelaus Prutah
« on: June 24, 2019, 05:39:53 pm »
Hi, all.  Here is a very small coin of Herod Archelaus from Caesarea Maritima.  I thought it might be a "minima", however, the actual size of the helmet and grapes is the same size as a normal coin, and only the flan is very small and thin.  The coin is very light, for the type, and possibly water-worn, so I think it may just be a very crudely engraved die, rather than a proper minima.  Any opinions would be welcome.   Thanks, V-drome

BCC J36
Judaea - AE Prutah? (or half-prutah)
Caesarea Maritima
Herod Archelaus 4BCE - 6CE
Mint of Jerusalem
Obv:[HPω∆OY]
Bunch of grapes, vine leaf to left.
Rev:[EΘNAPXOY]
Tall military helmet, facing.
Very worn with extremely crude engraving,
15mm. 1.15gm. Axis:0
Hendin III 505

Here is a comparison of the small coin with a normal prutah to scale.
Bottom coin is 17mm. and 2.33gm.
(click for larger pic)

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Re: Very Small, Crude Archelaus Prutah
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 09:39:17 pm »
It can really be hard to distinguish crude, light coins from Minimas sometimes, especially with Caesarean provenance!

I have never seen an Archelaus minima before, but that certainly does not mean they may not exist. However, I am aware of crude Archelaus coins, though they are relatively rare in my experience. I have attached an example (https://agoraauctions.com/listing/viewdetail/37543/0/archive; 1.06 g) and note that TJC: 73e, 73f are crude and light too (1.00 g and 0.80 g respectively).
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Re: Very Small, Crude Archelaus Prutah
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 09:49:34 pm »
Thank you, Aarmale.  Very interesting, and nice to hear from you again!

Best regards, Jimi

All coins are guaranteed for eternity