Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: "Vortuna" seated right - a quirky imitative of Septimius Severus  (Read 2635 times)

Offline TenthGen

• Consul
  • Ferrata Fidelis Constans
I purchased this coin a couple of years ago, but I've only recently had time to look into its unusual features. I acquired it from our own Members Auctions where it was correctly identified as being imitative with blundered legends:

Obverse: IMP CAE L SEP SE-V PER? AVG COS I?, laureate head right
Reverse: VORTVN-AE REDVCI, Fortuna seated right.

This coin was perhaps intended to imitate Emesa-minted RIC 379 or RIC 386. Regardless, I find the portrait and spelling errors to be especially earnest as you can almost hear a non-Roman saying "Vortvna". To my knowledge it is also unusual to see Fortuna seated right, especially on what was intended to be a "Roman" coin.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: "Vortuna" seated right - a quirky imitative of Septimius Severus
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 11:24:58 am »
I would be willing to accept the obv. as a possibly official die, reading PERT as normal in the legend, and COS I, provided that the silver content of the metal looks normal and is not obviously debased. What are the weight and die axis? However I do not appear to know any other coins from this exact obv. die.

The rev. die is cruder, and has the mistakes of V for F and Fortuna facing the wrong way, but I wouldn't entirely exclude its also coming from the official mint, at a time early or late in its production when practiced engravers were not available.

I gather that one cannot make out whether Fortuna is holding a rudder or a branch?
Curtis Clay

Offline TenthGen

• Consul
  • Ferrata Fidelis Constans
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 07:01:29 pm »
Hi Curtis,

Thank you for your reply. To my eye the silver does not appear to be substantially debased, and I see no breaks in the silver that reveal a copper core. The die axis is a pretty exact 180, and the coin weighs 1.90g with a 16mm diameter. 1.9g is light, but I'm not sure if it's significantly lighter than the tight-flanned coinage of Septimius Severus we sometimes see. I cannot determine if she is holding a rudder or a branch, there's just not enough detail left even in hand. However, it does appear in hand that she is wearing a polos or something similar.

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 01:22:17 pm »

I gather that one cannot make out whether Fortuna is holding a rudder or a branch?

I guess that some remains of rudder can distinguished.

Very cute coin indeed). Totally agree with Curis,  could be official mint, obverse for sure.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity