Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A Julia Domna Hybrid Denarius?  (Read 732 times)

Offline nummis durensis

• Praetorian
    • perinawa
A Julia Domna Hybrid Denarius?
« on: June 23, 2019, 06:32:16 am »
I got a Julia Domna Denarius for small money, and I think and hope, it is a "really" Hybrid.

In my opinion it is from officiell dies, and not barbarious, or what do you think?

Julia Domna
Denarius
Rome
Av.: IVLIA - AVGVSTA / draped bust right
Rev.: SECVRIT IMPERII - Securitas seated left (Reverse of Geta)
1,78 G., 6 h die axis
RIC -

Best regards
Rainer

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: A Julia Domna Hybrid Denarius?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 10:26:36 am »
Rainer,

Unfortunately not official but an ancient imitation in my opinion.

Curtis
Curtis Clay

Offline nummis durensis

• Praetorian
    • perinawa
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 04:41:36 pm »
Yes, I feared this..

Thank you, Curtis.

Regards
Rainer

Offline TIF

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 10:20:10 am »
This response,

Yes, I feared this..

makes me curious.  The tone seems to suggest that having an ancient coin that isn't an official Imperial issue is a disappointment.  Are ancient imitations viewed with disdain?  To me they seem every bit as interesting as official issues, perhaps even more so because of the mystery and uncertainty of the circumstances.

I'm not picking on you, nummis durensis, just wondering why fourrees and other contemporary imitations seem to be regarded as the ugly stepchildren of ancient coin collecting.  I like them!  :D

Offline shanxi

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 10:38:44 am »
Isn't this obvious ?

There is A: The collectors aspect.

If official, this coin might have been published in the next RIC issue, coming from the nd collection; something to be proud of.

B: The historical aspect.

A official coin was minted during a specific reign, circulated during this reigen, and often was issued for a historical event; a victory, anther year as consul, a marriage etc...

Such a coin might actually be the only source for such an historical event.

The imitation might be ancient but not necessarily from this reign, and an unusual obverse/reverse combination means what?  Nothing!

enough reasons ?  :)

Imitations are interessting if they are issued by e.g. a certain celtic tribe and created by artists with their own style. These coins have their own history.  Imitations which were produced by criminals in an unkown cellar are just that and nothing more.

Offline TIF

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 11:31:07 am »
enough reasons ?  Smiley

Imitations are interessting if they are issued by e.g. a certain celtic tribe and created by artists with their own style. These coins have their own history.

Those are indeed some reasons ;D.  Reason A doesn't move me much but I can understand the appeal of having your own tiny bit of numismatic "fame".  Reason B makes a little more sense to me but I disagree with the implication that "ordinary" imitations don't have their own history.  We just don't always know what that history is!  :)

Offline shanxi

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 11:32:56 am »
butI disagree with the implication that "ordinary" imitations don't have their own history.  We just don't always know what that history is!  :)

That's true !

All coins are guaranteed for eternity