Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Eleutherios? Lead Seal from Caesarea M  (Read 767 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Eleutherios? Lead Seal from Caesarea M
« on: June 22, 2019, 06:18:35 pm »
Hi, all.  Here is a lead seal from Caesarea Maritima.  I found a seal in the Dumbarton Oaks collection with the name Eleutherios, but a slightly different monogram.  Any other ideas or information would be welcome.  Thanks, V-drome.

BCC LS14
Lead Seal
5th - 7th Century CE
Obv: Facing portrait, nimbate,
Mother and Child. Possible symbols
to left and right (cross?)
Rev: Cruciform monogram with Greek letters:
θ, E, Λ, Ρ, O?, Υ, Ι?, Τ?, C?
Eleutheriou?
20.5 x 19mm. 7.85gm. Axis:0
(Click for larger pic)

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Eleutherios? Lead Seal from Caesarea M
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 03:35:20 am »
Hi again, v-drome! Yes, you found it. It is a problem-free "Eleutheriou" monogram.
For your information, you proposed T and C as well: there's not T, and C would have to be implicated in theta. This is a possibility, but it is not the convention. If there had been a C in the name, it would have appeared somewhere in the monogram by itself.

Also, the date seems to be 6th century to me. 5th is too early. Possilby early 7th.
Regards
Gert

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Re: Eleutherios? Lead Seal from Caesarea M
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 10:20:01 pm »
Thank you, Gert.  I will be working on a few more seals.  Your archives are an outstanding resource!

Best regards, Jimi

All coins are guaranteed for eternity