Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lugdunum VLPP with rare bust type  (Read 595 times)

Offline Per D

• Praetorian
Lugdunum VLPP with rare bust type
« on: June 16, 2019, 06:27:46 am »
IMP LICI – NIVS AVG Laureate, draped (and cuirassed?) bust right with spear across right shoulder and shield on left arm.
[VICORIAE LAET PRINC PERP] Two Victories facing one another, holding shield/wreath with [VOT]/PR over garlanded altar. In exergue  :captiveleft: :captiveright:
3, 49 g, ø 18,5 mm.

RIC VII lists a unique specimen (Lyons 71) with bust type G1 (laur. and draped with spear across r. shoulder) from the Berlin collection. In a footnote, Bruun adds that the coin is damaged and worn with details of the bust and altar indiscernible. On his Not in RIC-site, Lech Stępniewski quotes Bastien who claims there is also a shield on the left arm.

I recently acquired a a specimen of what seems to be the same type and thought I'd share an image. This coin, too, is in less than stellar condition, and the thick patination makes the reverse legend almost illegible. The edge of a shield is visible, though, as well as a garland on the altar.

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
Re: Lugdunum VLPP with rare bust type
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 02:14:52 am »
At first looking at the bust I thought it was his son, Licinius II, junior, but I believe to see AVG at the end of the obverse legend, not NOBC. Regardless, you are correct, a rarity and a lucky find to detect. Wish it was in my own collection!😘
That's the fun of Late Roman Coins, new discoveries are still lurking to be found and shared.
Enjoy the museum piece!

Offline Per D

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 07:19:39 am »
Yes, that strangely youthful portrait is what first caught my attention. It’s very similar to the one on the Berlin specimen (picture below), and possibly a die match. Perhaps legend and portrait were mismatched, with the bust supposed to be a representation of Crispus (no Licinius Caesar in this series).

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 04:49:13 pm »
Yes, definitely a youthful portrait and yes it may even be of Crispus! Believe he was awarded the victory over the Frank's for this special issue with two captives in exergue. Fascinating specimen and thanks for the added reference.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity