Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: KOINON New Varieties  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
KOINON New Varieties
« on: June 11, 2019, 02:05:14 pm »
Dear Friends,

We have many articles this year and a couple dozen new varieties, however, only five non-Roman types. If you have some to contribute, use this format and submit to me by the end of the month (I can probably fit about half a dozen more):

https://www.academia.edu/37595182/KOINON_STYLE_AND_SUBMISSION_GUIDE

I do not know if I said this before, but publishing your new varieties is a great way to justify your purchases to your significant other (you are contributing to science)!

:)

Nick

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: KOINON New Varieties
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 10:51:15 pm »
Hi Nick, would this qualify as an unlisted type?

RIC 1399 var. Vespasian denarius
IMP CAES VESPAS AVG
Laureate head right

AVG within laurel wreath, ΘI monogram above ties.

Ephesus mint. AD 69-70.

2.63g

RIC 1399 unlisted variant (laurel wreath rather than oak) This coin: footnote in the upcoming RIC II addenda ; RPC 808; RSC 37.

Ex Gorny & Mosch 152 (10 October 2006), lot 2071; Ex-Cheesman collection; Ex-CNG 433 Lot 379

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 09:15:22 am »
That's a tough one since it is scheduled to be published.  When is the work coming out?

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 09:31:30 am »
Not for years, maybe never.  ;D

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 09:44:03 am »
Sure, submit then.  Just add to the commentary beneath the entry that it is scheduled to be listed in the RIC II.  Also, it will need a white background.

Offline Mark Fox

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 10:29:37 am »
Dear Jay, Nick, and Board,

Just thought I should mention that the monogram could also be rendered as a possible "ΦΙ"---at least in my mind.

And since I am here, I will note that I have several unpublished Greek bronze issues (including types) from all over the map, but just no time to write up anything on them at the moment...  I am a little surprised that you haven't received more submissions from others since occurrences of new varieties and even types are not uncommon even now.  Roman provincials are even more frequently encountered, but do you consider such coins "non-Roman types"?

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 11:40:35 am »
I'd love to add them, Mark. No, I would not consider RPC non-Roman, but now that I look, there are no Roman Provincial types either!    I'm happy to have the Roman Imperials currently included but the more diverse the catalog the better.  

I'm working on three entries myself, all Campanian bronze issues that emerged on the market after the publication of Potamikon.  I just wish my photography skills were better.

Offline Mark Fox

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 12:01:33 pm »
Dear Nick and Board,

If that is the case, I have many unpublished Roman provincial types too, but again virtually no time to do anything about them right now...  As I said,  the appearances of such coins happen quite a lot.  To fill up some of your pages, I recommend browsing the Forvm Discussion Board archive for examples.  That is what I have done in the past and still do for research.  Also check out some of the recently completed public auctions (within the last few years).  They contain a surprising amount of unpublished material in both the Greek and Roman provincial categories.  But, that being said, you may want to run some of their attributions pass me as some examples are actually published and/or misattributed, as to be expected.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 01:52:28 pm »
Nick I read the link for what you need but where do I send it?

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 02:02:17 pm »
My email.  njmolinari AT gmail.com

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 02:09:04 pm »
Dear Nick and Board,

If that is the case, I have many unpublished Roman provincial types too, but again virtually no time to do anything about them right now...  As I said,  the appearances of such coins happen quite a lot.  To fill up some of your pages, I recommend browsing the Forvm Discussion Board archive for examples.  That is what I have done in the past and still do for research.  Also check out some of the recently completed public auctions (within the last few years).  They contain a surprising amount of unpublished material in both the Greek and Roman provincial categories.  But, that being said, you may want to run some of their attributions pass me as some examples are actually published and/or misattributed, as to be expected.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Thanks, Mark.  The journal should be over 200 pages, so we are not desperate for material, but I would like a richer catalog section.  If you get around to writing up your unattributed specimens feel free to submit whenever (I'll forward the typescript in early fall), or we can always include next year.

I wish I had the time to search through archives, etc., for unpublished material outside of Acheloios types.  Perhaps when my dissertation is complete I'll make a habit of cataloging new varieties as I see them appear on the market, but I'm also up to my eyeballs right now.  

All coins are guaranteed for eternity