Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Pythagoras of Samos, Celator 2.0  (Read 693 times)

Offline JBF

• Caesar
Pythagoras of Samos, Celator 2.0
« on: June 10, 2019, 10:50:58 pm »
A reworked and expanded version of my article, _Pythagoras of Samos, Celator_, has been posted on academia.edu on my page (John Francisco).  Like the original which was published in the Celator, this article deals with the literary sources supporting the claim that Pythagoras of Samos, better known as a philosopher-mathematician, was trained in the family business of celature.  Pythagoras father, Mnesarchus was a seal engraver, (daktylglyphos, literally "finger-ring engraver") according to Diogenes Laertius.  this may sound strange to some people, but we should note that Pythagoras ended up as a philosopher-mathematician, but that is not where he started.  He started making silver flagons for the priests of Egypt when he went there.  Of course, the silver flagons were not the only thing he did, but eventually he convinced them to teach him their knowledge.  However, he never gave up on celature, but introduced to the Achaean city-states of Magna Graecia the incuse coinage.  Other essays on my page discuss the incuse coinage, currently I am working on revising them, the first however, is the article Pythagoras of Samos, Celator 2.0.  The original, however, is still on the page, I will probably mark it as superseded by the new version.

kind regards
John Francisco,
academia.edu

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Pythagoras of Samos, Celator 2.0
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 11:49:01 pm »
Thanks John, I look forward to reading it.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity