Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cleopatra? Help Id  (Read 484 times)

Offline Crassus

• Caesar
Cleopatra? Help Id
« on: June 09, 2019, 10:30:25 am »
Cleopatra?
12mm
1,0 gr

Thank you for your help

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Cleopatra? Help Id
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 03:49:19 pm »
I can see a bird standing left on the reverse, but I cannot make out anything on the obverse.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 03:59:45 pm »
I can see a bird standing left on the reverse, but I cannot make out anything on the obverse.

That's funny because I could only see a thunderbolt on the obverse and nothing on the reverse. But now I can see the bird.

Together, and since "young" thinks of egyptian origin, it might be something like this:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=5704517

Offline Crassus

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 04:00:27 am »

That's funny because I could only see a thunderbolt on the obverse and nothing on the reverse. But now I can see the bird.

Together, and since "young" thinks of egyptian origin, it might be something like this:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=5704517

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 06:54:53 am »
We should mention that many do not accept the re-attribution of these and other small AE from the mid-second century BC to Cleopatra.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 12:05:32 pm »
We should mention that many do not accept the re-attribution of these and other small AE from the mid-second century BC to Cleopatra.
A very clear opinion can be seen for example here: http://numismatics.org/magazine/cypruswinter05/

Regards

Altamura

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 05:17:17 pm »

The Svoronos catalog number 1246 (Sv 1246) is in his section under Ptolemy V, 'of an uncertain mint'.  Could be earlier, but might be later.  Cyprus seems likely as three of them appear in 'Paphos II' and appear on the market from Cyprus sellers from time to time.  VERY tiny coins, ~ 1 gram / 10mm, seldom in really nice condition.  Not included in Weiser, nor SNG Cop. , nor Bank of Cyprus, but British Museum and ANS have specimens.  Fairly scarce.

PtolemAE

All coins are guaranteed for eternity