Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Please call if you have questions 252-646-1958. Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Uncleaned Ancient Coin Discussion  |  Topic: Bronze disease question 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bronze disease question  (Read 302 times)
Blayne W
Consul

« on: June 02, 2019, 09:26:12 pm »

I pulled out a group of coins that i have been soaking in distilled water for about a month to clean today and about half of them seem to have developed this greenish hue.  I had received a couple of coins this colour in my uncleaned lots but when ever I did the scratching test with a tooth pick, it seemed way to hard for bronze disease.

Today when I tested one coin the green covering came off pretty easy.  It wasn't dusty like coming off but more scratched off.   I do have some Gringotts BD killer whihch I am ready to use. Also if I do use the chemical, do I do the whole batch that was soaking together to stop one that shows no effects today from getting infected later.

I just want to guage everyones opionion that this is potentially bronze disease and I should go through with the killer, or am I looking at a soft patina.   I havent had to deal with Bronze disease before, so learning as I go here.   

Thanks

Blayne

B-Chicago
Praetorian

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 03:27:50 pm »

looks to me like :

- they are ready for a boil and a scrub - (healthy does of baking soda in water - 15 minutes)

- does not look like bronze disease
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Uncleaned Ancient Coin Discussion  |  Topic: Bronze disease question « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop