Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bronze disease question  (Read 1380 times)

Offline Blayne W

• Consul
Bronze disease question
« on: June 02, 2019, 11:26:12 pm »
I pulled out a group of coins that i have been soaking in distilled water for about a month to clean today and about half of them seem to have developed this greenish hue.  I had received a couple of coins this colour in my uncleaned lots but when ever I did the scratching test with a tooth pick, it seemed way to hard for bronze disease.

Today when I tested one coin the green covering came off pretty easy.  It wasn't dusty like coming off but more scratched off.   I do have some Gringotts BD killer whihch I am ready to use. Also if I do use the chemical, do I do the whole batch that was soaking together to stop one that shows no effects today from getting infected later.

I just want to guage everyones opionion that this is potentially bronze disease and I should go through with the killer, or am I looking at a soft patina.   I havent had to deal with Bronze disease before, so learning as I go here.   

Thanks

Blayne

Offline B-Chicago

• Praetorian
Re: Bronze disease question
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 05:27:50 pm »
looks to me like :

- they are ready for a boil and a scrub - (healthy does of baking soda in water - 15 minutes)

- does not look like bronze disease

All coins are guaranteed for eternity