Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Stumped on this Greek AE  (Read 316 times)

Offline Libanus93

• Praetorian
Stumped on this Greek AE
« on: May 31, 2019, 03:44:11 am »
This thing is obviously over-cleaned (not my doing).  It's a Greek AE18 that weighs 5.3 grams.  Sicily maybe?  Kinda looks like Hybla Magna, but isn't a match.  No visible inscription, but the devices are at least clear enough to make out.  Anybody have any ideas?

I appreciate any help I could get.  Thank you,

Matthew
Son zeneize, rizo ræo, strenzo i denti e parlo ciæo.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Stumped on this Greek AE
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 04:20:59 am »
Wild Guess !! Perge ??

Size, weight, bust  and arm position of the figure on the reverse are similar.

http://www.asiaminorcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=1305

Offline Libanus93

• Praetorian
Re: Stumped on this Greek AE
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 03:17:47 pm »
Thank you.

It's close, like the Hybla Magna pieces I looked at, but the examples I'm seeing aren't matching the hairstyle.  I'm going to keep looking at other Perge pieces--most have a sphinx with this reverse type and the type with the head doesn't show up very often.

I appreciate your help!
Son zeneize, rizo ræo, strenzo i denti e parlo ciæo.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity