Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Stumped on this Greek AE  (Read 317 times)

Offline Libanus93

• Praetorian
Stumped on this Greek AE
« on: May 31, 2019, 03:44:11 am »
This thing is obviously over-cleaned (not my doing).  It's a Greek AE18 that weighs 5.3 grams.  Sicily maybe?  Kinda looks like Hybla Magna, but isn't a match.  No visible inscription, but the devices are at least clear enough to make out.  Anybody have any ideas?

I appreciate any help I could get.  Thank you,

Matthew
Son zeneize, rizo ræo, strenzo i denti e parlo ciæo.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Stumped on this Greek AE
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 04:20:59 am »
Wild Guess !! Perge ??

Size, weight, bust  and arm position of the figure on the reverse are similar.

http://www.asiaminorcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=1305

Offline Libanus93

• Praetorian
Re: Stumped on this Greek AE
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 03:17:47 pm »
Thank you.

It's close, like the Hybla Magna pieces I looked at, but the examples I'm seeing aren't matching the hairstyle.  I'm going to keep looking at other Perge pieces--most have a sphinx with this reverse type and the type with the head doesn't show up very often.

I appreciate your help!
Son zeneize, rizo ræo, strenzo i denti e parlo ciæo.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity