Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Interesting Class B Follis...  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Quant.Geek

• Consul
Interesting Class B Follis...
« on: May 29, 2019, 08:27:09 pm »
An interesting Class B follis where the reverse inscription is truncated to IS-XS ЬAS-ILЄ and the obverse is clearly smaller.  Do you think it is an imitation or a modern fake?  I have some doubts wrt. the inscriptions, but wanted your opinion...

Thanks,

QG

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Re: Interesting Class B Follis...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 02:58:06 pm »
An interesting Class B follis where the reverse inscription is truncated to IS-XS ЬAS-ILЄ and the obverse is clearly smaller.  Do you think it is an imitation or a modern fake?  I have some doubts wrt. the inscriptions, but wanted your opinion...

Thanks,

QG

QG Is your observation  the obverse is from a smaller die? It does not seem as obvious from the picture.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Quant.Geek

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 09:26:50 pm »
Here is a comparison between a normal Class B follis and this one.  The original, posted coin is more compact in comparison to this one.  Seems to have lost his left shoulder and his neck!

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 11:52:29 pm »
My guess is that the coin is ancient, and I would not be surprised if it is a blundered issue from the official mint.

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 11:57:05 pm »
intersting coin, looks official have never seen one with a truncated as you say lower half. OB considers blundered? as if mis inscribed which I think the most reasonable consideration. Dose not look misstruck. what is the weight and size?

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 12:39:21 am »
Hello wileyc,  yes, mis-inscribed is a better word than blundered.  But that's what I meant!

Offline Quant.Geek

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 08:08:02 am »
Here are the dimensions:

Size: 27mm
Weight: 8.75g

So, it isn't too far from the official size and weight.  Once I get the coin in hand, I'll take some more detailed pictures....

Thanks,

QG

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 08:42:54 am »
I think it looks official and an ordinary double strike with unusual results. The results of double strikes can be inexplicable.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 11:59:46 pm »
Joe makes a good point, and here is an double strike that shows exactly how it could have happened.  This coin comes from the catalogue of the coins in the Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts.

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 05:50:15 pm »
I agree with Joe

All coins are guaranteed for eternity