Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Resources  |  Identification Help (Moderators: Varangian, Arados)  |  Topic: Stumped on this Greek AE 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stumped on this Greek AE  (Read 162 times)
Libanus93
Praetorian

« on: May 31, 2019, 01:44:11 am »

This thing is obviously over-cleaned (not my doing).  It's a Greek AE18 that weighs 5.3 grams.  Sicily maybe?  Kinda looks like Hybla Magna, but isn't a match.  No visible inscription, but the devices are at least clear enough to make out.  Anybody have any ideas?

I appreciate any help I could get.  Thank you,

Matthew

Son zeneize, rizo rĉo, strenzo i denti e parlo ciĉo.
shanxi
Tribunus Plebis 2018
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 02:20:59 am »

Wild Guess !! Perge ??

Size, weight, bust  and arm position of the figure on the reverse are similar.

http://www.asiaminorcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=1305

Libanus93
Praetorian

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 01:17:47 pm »

Thank you.

It's close, like the Hybla Magna pieces I looked at, but the examples I'm seeing aren't matching the hairstyle.  I'm going to keep looking at other Perge pieces--most have a sphinx with this reverse type and the type with the head doesn't show up very often.

I appreciate your help!

Son zeneize, rizo rĉo, strenzo i denti e parlo ciĉo.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Resources  |  Identification Help (Moderators: Varangian, Arados)  |  Topic: Stumped on this Greek AE « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop