Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Please call if you have questions 252-646-1958. Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  History and Archeology (Moderator: David Atherton)  |  Topic: Brits making beer way back when 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brits making beer way back when  (Read 503 times)
Bill W4
Consul

« on: May 26, 2019, 01:28:38 pm »

Well, you couldn't drink the water  https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/jan/31/early-pint-evidence-of-first-british-beer-found-in-cambridgeshire

I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!
Arados
Comitia Curiata
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 01:16:51 am »

Interesting, i wonder what the local pub used to look like back in 400 B.C.

Beer in our DNA  Grin

shanxi
Tribunus Plebis 2018
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 02:08:44 am »

Beer brewing started much earlier in ancient egypt:

https://www.ancient.eu/article/1033/beer-in-ancient-egypt/

Nobody has problems to imagine old brits drinking beer, a lot of it, but old egyptians ?  Smiley

cmcdon0923
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 09:23:49 am »

And even if you could drink the water.....with beer available, why would you want to ?!?!

PMah
Consul

Still Rusty in 2019

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 02:08:30 pm »

Back when pubs closed mid-afternoon, it certainly felt like ancient times!  Of course, for me, that pretty much was in ancient times #CollegeDaze

JBF
Caesar

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 07:14:24 pm »

There is a Brazilian beer, Quingu, if I remember right, based on native recipe, but in the native version the old women chew the stuff, to create the enzymes that cause fermentation.

Makes you wonder how exactly the ancient British and the Egyptian beers were made.

You might try it for experimental anthropology.
Aeneas
Praetorian

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 01:17:45 pm »

You can brew beer without having to add yeast / fermentation enzymes or to let the old town women chew the wheat! A Belgian beer speciality called lambic beer (you should try some!) uses the wild yeasts and bacteria that are found in the ambient air to start the fermentation process! I assume that the first beer was "invented" that way, merely per chance or per accident if you will (he or her should have patented it)!

David
PMah
Consul

Still Rusty in 2019

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 07:04:20 pm »

I may be compressing a lot of biology, but I think all fermentation was from ambient yeast until Pasteur figured it out.  Then the development of yeast strains suited to particular purposes began.  Before that, bakers kept "starter" batter, brewers "pitched" a sample of the last batch, and vintners reused the fermentation vats. And all crossed their fingers that fermentation would proceed faster than spoilage.

Old beverage brewers probably said the same thing we do:  "Don't clean it, you'll ruin it!"

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  History and Archeology (Moderator: David Atherton)  |  Topic: Brits making beer way back when « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop