Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Brits making beer way back when  (Read 1267 times)

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Brits making beer way back when
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 03:16:51 am »
Interesting, i wonder what the local pub used to look like back in 400 B.C.

Beer in our DNA  ;D

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 04:08:44 am »
Beer brewing started much earlier in ancient egypt:

https://www.ancient.eu/article/1033/beer-in-ancient-egypt/

Nobody has problems to imagine old brits drinking beer, a lot of it, but old egyptians ?  :)

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 11:23:49 am »
And even if you could drink the water.....with beer available, why would you want to ?!?!

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 04:08:30 pm »
Back when pubs closed mid-afternoon, it certainly felt like ancient times!  Of course, for me, that pretty much was in ancient times #CollegeDaze
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 09:14:24 pm »
There is a Brazilian beer, Quingu, if I remember right, based on native recipe, but in the native version the old women chew the stuff, to create the enzymes that cause fermentation.

Makes you wonder how exactly the ancient British and the Egyptian beers were made.

You might try it for experimental anthropology.

Offline Aeneas

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 03:17:45 pm »
You can brew beer without having to add yeast / fermentation enzymes or to let the old town women chew the wheat! A Belgian beer speciality called lambic beer (you should try some!) uses the wild yeasts and bacteria that are found in the ambient air to start the fermentation process! I assume that the first beer was "invented" that way, merely per chance or per accident if you will (he or her should have patented it)!

David

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 09:04:20 pm »
I may be compressing a lot of biology, but I think all fermentation was from ambient yeast until Pasteur figured it out.  Then the development of yeast strains suited to particular purposes began.  Before that, bakers kept "starter" batter, brewers "pitched" a sample of the last batch, and vintners reused the fermentation vats. And all crossed their fingers that fermentation would proceed faster than spoilage.

Old beverage brewers probably said the same thing we do:  "Don't clean it, you'll ruin it!"
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

All coins are guaranteed for eternity