Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Seal of John Bakchurios ???  (Read 811 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Seal of John Bakchurios ???
« on: May 18, 2019, 07:23:01 am »
I am working on identifying this nice seal which I am adding to my collection.

It measures 20.62 mm and weighs On the obverse is the monogram for Ioannes (John Johannes)

I am not sure that I have all the correct letters on the reverse.  I see

:Greek_Beta:  :Greek_Iota:  :Greek_Kappa:  :Greek_Chi:  :Greek_Omicron:  :Greek_Upsilon_2:  clearly.  But I believe that there is also a  :Greek_Rho: under the  :Greek_Omicron:  :Greek_Upsilon_2: and an  :A3: under the  :Greek_Chi:  Am I correct with the letters?  I don't think that the  monogram on the reverse is Skribon.  I think that it does date to the 6th - 7th Centuries.  Thoughts?  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Seal of John Bakchurios ???
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 07:15:26 am »
I think that I may have it The letters I have included are  :A3:  :Greek_Beta:  :Greek_Iota:  :Greek_Kappa:  :Greek_Omicron:  :Greek_Rho:  :Greek_Upsilon_2:  :Greek_Chi: .

I have arranged them with help of a text to  :Greek_Beta:  :A3:  :Greek_Kappa: :Greek_Chi:  :Greek_Omicron:  :Greek_Upsilon_2:  :Greek_Rho:  :Greek_Iota:  :Greek_Omicron:  :Greek_Upsilon_2:  = Bakchurios.  Am I correct?  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Seal of John Bakchurios ???
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 01:07:59 pm »
That's a tough one. I don't think Bakchourios would work because there's also a T at the top (O, V, T, P). You are right that there's also a A below. I can't think of anything that would fit. We can be pretty sure that an office or dignity is on this side, because the other side has the personal name. Perhaps B-K stand for 'BA(S)ILIKOV' (imperial), and the rest of the letters could solve Chartoulariou.
Regards
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity