Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A Small Judaea Capta COTD  (Read 1018 times)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
A Small Judaea Capta COTD
« on: May 18, 2019, 06:59:08 am »
A recently added rarity. https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-155286

These are normally forgotten about when the Judaea Capta series is considered.

Offline labienus

• Caesar
Re: A Small Judaea Capta COTD
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 01:59:15 am »
Hi, David
still in a "hawkeye" mode when hunting. Great find.
Best
Pierre

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 07:39:00 am »
Quote from: labienus on May 20, 2019, 01:59:15 am
Hi, David
still in a "hawkeye" mode when hunting. Great find.
Best
Pierre

Always and thanks!

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 06:48:18 am »
Thank you for the interesting post David. I did not realize that the Rome mint had produced a series of quadrantes celebrating victory in the First Revolt. When 'Judaea Capta' is mentioned, as for many others, I think mostly of denarii or sestertii, although I knew of some other denominations, it did not occur to me that quadrantes would also be included. As you say, it shows the administration clearly wanted Romans of all classes to understand the importance of the event. The single palm image is so stark makes me want to speculate further about the reasons for the issue showing it so prominently.

The the single palm signifying Judea was used previously on the some of the Hasmonean and Herodian leptons and so it was only natural Roman Procurators would also use the symbolic image on their own similarly low denominations

Under Nero the Procurator Porcius Festus had prutahs struck showing the single palm which must have been a common coin in Judea at the time. As the revolt began shortly after he departed office, perhaps it was the intention of the Roman government to produce a similar low denomination with the same motif to reinforce the concept of Roman authority continuing from the reign of Nero to that of Vespasian

Also for those veterans now back in Italy, who would have seen the leptons and prutahs of Judea, it might remind them of their own service to the empire.

Best regards,

Steve

All coins are guaranteed for eternity