Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Crawford RRC April 2019 reprint  (Read 1456 times)

Offline Jordan Montgomery

• Consul
    • Gallery of my Roman Republican coin collection
Crawford RRC April 2019 reprint
« on: May 16, 2019, 01:48:30 pm »
Crawford's Roman Republican Coinage has recently been reprinted and the two volume paperback set is available via various sources including Amazon and AbeBooks for around $100 USD or the equivalent in pounds/euros. I have not received my copy yet but other collectors have reported that the plates have been reproduced well and are much better than those in some previous reprints. Considering that even reprints with so-so plates were generally selling for several hundred dollars earlier this year this is an excellent opportunity.

I don't receive any kickbacks or compensation for sales of this book, just trying to make sure anyone who has been wanting a copy of this excellent work can get one before they're all sold out.
Gallery of my collection with notes and discussion of Republican history and numismatics

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
Re: Crawford RRC April 2019 reprint
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 11:58:53 pm »
Thank you for this info, Jordan.  Crawford is essential for the Roman Republic collector, and the hardcovers are not easy to use with coins laid out nearby.

I wish numismatic literature was  routinely created in quality-equivalent multiple formats.  Print limits the image quality of any photo, so formats that can provide highest quality images should be the primary delivery mechanism.   
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 08:09:36 am »
I have this reprint. Plates are medium quality, but not too bad. You can see what you need to see.

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 11:22:11 am »
Thank you for this info, Jordan.  Crawford is essential for the Roman Republic collector, and the hardcovers are not easy to use with coins laid out nearby.

I wish numismatic literature was  routinely created in quality-equivalent multiple formats.  Print limits the image quality of any photo, so formats that can provide highest quality images should be the primary delivery mechanism.   

I totally agree. I understand that piracy is largely the reason that publishers of books like RRC don't provide digital copies but I'd certainly pay extra for a high quality digital copy. Even a so-so digital copy is useful for me when traveling for work or to visit family so in some cases I've scanned important papers such as Russo's on unpublished bronzes for my own personal use, but of course digital would be preferred.

In lieu of a good digital copy of Crawford my strategy for plates for my own research has been building my own digital photofile from many of the same sources. Some of the images in it are just scans of old catalogues and things but between the RBW and JD collection catalogs and the online archives of the BNF and the BM as well as a few private collectors who have shared images of rare types with me I've managed to find good digital images of quite a few coins and it includes many types not in Crawford so is more useful in that regard and being digital it is much easier(at least for me) to compare dies.
Gallery of my collection with notes and discussion of Republican history and numismatics

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 02:42:36 pm »
This might be a dumb question, but perhaps not. I assume that the reprint is not of the 1974 original edition, but some later edition containing the 1982 corrections.  I think the most recent edition is 2001. Is my assumption correct?

Thanks.

Tracy

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 03:18:42 pm »
This might be a dumb question, but perhaps not. I assume that the reprint is not of the 1974 original edition, but some later edition containing the 1982 corrections.  I think the most recent edition is 2001. Is my assumption correct?

Thanks.

Tracy

Not a dumb question at all. From what I understand (I haven't received my copy yet) this does include the corrections contained in the other later reprints but they basically amount to editorial errors and things as opposed to actual changes in the arrangement.

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 04:24:26 pm »
Jordan,

Thank you for the reply and the information.

Tracy

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 08:34:48 am »
Kudos to Jordan for sharing the news on the republication of Crawford's Roman Republican Coinage.  I just purchased my softcover copy of Crawford RRC through Alibris.com for the best available price, $94.25, though there were quite a few sellers at a price point of $105 to $120.  If only the Roman Provincial Coinage series could be purchased so easily!   I seem to be acquiring as many books as I do coins, these days, so several volumes of RPC are looming... 

Cheers~
Chris T.
Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity