Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Flea Market Finds  (Read 699 times)

Offline Kevin M

• Praetorian
Flea Market Finds
« on: May 16, 2019, 12:02:35 pm »
Normally I don't purchase ancients at a flea market but these coins came cheap and were from a batch of well circulated and well patinated coins. The smaller follis appears to be a Justin and Sophie one  while the larger may be an Anastasias or Justinian piece. The smallest I don't recognize and it may not be Byzantine at all. Any help attributing that one would be much appreciated. Not exactly a treasure trove but for $20 the patina was worth it.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Flea Market Finds
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 12:04:21 pm »
Nice finds, I think.

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 12:58:34 pm »
The middle size coin isn't Justin II and Sophia but rather:

BYZANTINE EMPIRE
PHOCAS and LEONTIA, 602-610 AD
AE 40 Nummi. Antioch mint. Struck 604-605 AD
Phocas (left) wears crown with pendilia, holds globus cruciger; Leontia (right), holds cruciform sceptre; cross between their heads / Large M between ANNO and III; cross above; THEUP in exergue

DOC II 85; SB 671

Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline antoninus1

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 03:26:18 pm »
The small coin seems to be this type from Phokis:
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=5355885

All coins are guaranteed for eternity