Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Hanukkah Sameach! Tell them you want a coin from FORVM for Hanukkah!!!! Internet challenged? We are happy to take your order over the phone 252-646-1958. Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas!!! Tell them you want a coin from FORVM for Christmas!!!! Internet challenged? We are happy to take your order over the phone 252-646-1958.

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Roman Coins (Moderator: Severus_Alexander)  |  Topic: C S for S C on a probably cast GERMANIA CAPTA sestertius of Domitian 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: C S for S C on a probably cast GERMANIA CAPTA sestertius of Domitian  (Read 357 times)
curtislclay
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« on: May 15, 2019, 04:37:30 pm »

IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM - COS XII CENS PER P P Bust laureate r. with aegis on shoulders

GERMANIA - CAPTA around, C S in exergue, Trophy, at base of which mourning German woman seated l. on crossed hexagonal shields; and German warrior standing r., head turned l., hands tied behind back, l. leg bent and touching ground with toes, on ground to r. helmet and hexagonal shield.

34-35.5 mm, 25.43 g, axis 7 h; dealer's picture below.

The seller called this coin a "medallion in Paduan style, imitating a sestertius". But these dies are not in Klawans' book on Paduans, and stylistically they closely resemble Rome-mint originals, for example the two formerly in the Mazzini Collection that are shown in the second picture below. The obverse of my coin is almost a die match for Mazzini's first coin; while the style and details of its reverse are closely similar to those of Mazzini's second coin, which however has the correct S C in exergue. So I think these dies must go back to the mint of Rome, yet the coin perhaps lacks the sharpness to be a struck original; maybe it is only a good modern cast of such an original.

In that case other cast twins might be expected to exist, though there are none in Forvm's Fake Reports, nor in CoinArchives Pro, and Carradice and Buttrey apparently knew of no such piece, for otherwise they would probably have reported its engraving error C S for S C on reverse in their revised RIC II of 2007, no. 463. Has any Forvm member seen a cast twin of my piece, or a similar genuine COS XII sestertius with this C S error on reverse?

Curtis Clay
Jay GT4
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Leave the gun, take the Canoli!

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 04:56:44 am »

Very interesting Curtis.  While I can't shed any light on a matching die from either a cast or struck original,  the CS mistake is not unknown as an engraver error on other coins.  I await to see what others may know.

My Gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=18312

IG: @artisan.flooring
J. Grande
FlaviusDomitianus
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 08:55:15 am »

Curtis,

this is very interesting.

I have never encountered such an error, nor is it mentioned in the RIC 2.1 A&C by Carradice and Buttrey.

I'll keep an eye on outcoming specimens.

Alberto

Tacitus
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 01:15:38 pm »

The coin has weird wear.... the bumps along the edge show almost no wear except next to the ANIA
Same on the Obverse...
maridvnvm
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 02:19:01 am »

Perhaps the result on an uneven strike.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Roman Coins (Moderator: Severus_Alexander)  |  Topic: C S for S C on a probably cast GERMANIA CAPTA sestertius of Domitian « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop