Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A half-as? An extremely underweight - and then worn - as?  (Read 408 times)

Offline fomovore

• Legionary
A half-as? An extremely underweight - and then worn - as?
« on: May 14, 2019, 07:45:28 pm »
I got this "as" of Titus as augustus (the seller IDed it as Vespasian) - **P T(?) CAES VESP AVG PM T R P COS VIII(?), Pax(?) or Aequitas(?) on the reverse - but it's 6.5g (24-26mm). Did "half-asses" exist? Could anyone point me towards any info on this? My google-fu is failing me for some reason. Can't find it in Sear either.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: A half-as? An extremely underweight - and then worn - as?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 10:19:55 pm »
My guess would be
IMP T CAES VESP AVG PM TR P COS VIII
PAX AVGVSTI

RIC 232

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 06:50:33 am »
I read only AVGVST in reverse legend, so RIC 230 seems most likely to me.

By the way the weight is really low; I have no experience with official middle bronzes weighing less than 8 grams.

Since ancient imitations of Flavian bronze do exist, and were largely struck in Gaul, could it be one of these?

Which is the source of your coin?

Alberto

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 10:24:02 am »
I think the fabric is not that of an ancient cast, so an official struck As, just a very light one.

The diameter is that of a middle bronze. If it were an official Rome-mint semis, which do not exist for Titus, its diameter would be considerably smaller. Compare the orichalcum asses and semisses struck for Titus Caesar under Vespasian, apparently for circulation in Syria, RIC 1572-4. Or the Rome-mint copper semisses of Nero, RIC pl. 18, 88 and pl. 19, 92.
Curtis Clay

Offline fomovore

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 08:04:07 pm »
My guess would be
IMP T CAES VESP AVG PM TR P COS VIII
PAX AVGVSTI

RIC 232
Yes, I'm inclined to read it the same way.

Which is the source of your coin?
eBay - seller budgies-beak.

I think the fabric is not that of an ancient cast <...>
Right, the details are quite sharp.

Also, I don't think it's bronze, but orichalcum judging by how it looks under the patina, but I wouldn't insist on it.

That's an odd one. I'm glad since that's exactly why I'm in this for - discovery and learning.

Thanks, everyone.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity