Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Please call if you have questions 252-646-1958. Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Resources  |  Identification Help (Moderators: Varangian, Arados)  |  Topic: A half-as? An extremely underweight - and then worn - as? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A half-as? An extremely underweight - and then worn - as?  (Read 174 times)
fomovore
Legionary

« on: May 14, 2019, 05:45:28 pm »

I got this "as" of Titus as augustus (the seller IDed it as Vespasian) - **P T(?) CAES VESP AVG PM T R P COS VIII(?), Pax(?) or Aequitas(?) on the reverse - but it's 6.5g (24-26mm). Did "half-asses" exist? Could anyone point me towards any info on this? My google-fu is failing me for some reason. Can't find it in Sear either.
Jay GT4
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Leave the gun, take the Canoli!

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 08:19:55 pm »

My guess would be
IMP T CAES VESP AVG PM TR P COS VIII
PAX AVGVSTI

RIC 232

My Gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=18312

IG: @artisan.flooring
J. Grande
FlaviusDomitianus
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 04:50:33 am »

I read only AVGVST in reverse legend, so RIC 230 seems most likely to me.

By the way the weight is really low; I have no experience with official middle bronzes weighing less than 8 grams.

Since ancient imitations of Flavian bronze do exist, and were largely struck in Gaul, could it be one of these?

Which is the source of your coin?

Alberto

curtislclay
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 08:24:02 am »

I think the fabric is not that of an ancient cast, so an official struck As, just a very light one.

The diameter is that of a middle bronze. If it were an official Rome-mint semis, which do not exist for Titus, its diameter would be considerably smaller. Compare the orichalcum asses and semisses struck for Titus Caesar under Vespasian, apparently for circulation in Syria, RIC 1572-4. Or the Rome-mint copper semisses of Nero, RIC pl. 18, 88 and pl. 19, 92.

Curtis Clay
fomovore
Legionary

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 06:04:07 pm »

My guess would be
IMP T CAES VESP AVG PM TR P COS VIII
PAX AVGVSTI

RIC 232
Yes, I'm inclined to read it the same way.

Which is the source of your coin?
eBay - seller budgies-beak.

I think the fabric is not that of an ancient cast <...>
Right, the details are quite sharp.

Also, I don't think it's bronze, but orichalcum judging by how it looks under the patina, but I wouldn't insist on it.

That's an odd one. I'm glad since that's exactly why I'm in this for - discovery and learning.

Thanks, everyone.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Resources  |  Identification Help (Moderators: Varangian, Arados)  |  Topic: A half-as? An extremely underweight - and then worn - as? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop