Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Red-Brown Jasper Intaglio Caesarea M  (Read 751 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Red-Brown Jasper Intaglio Caesarea M
« on: May 13, 2019, 09:37:21 pm »
Hi all.  Here is a lovely gemstone from Caesarea Maritima.  I think it is a draped bust of Apollo, but any other ideas are welcome.  The setting is modern, we made it for my mother in 1983.  For years I thought it was lost, but she recently found it and sent it to me when she was getting ready to move.  I found some parallels for the gem from Caesarea, and also in the Bonner database, and the Getty Collection.  Most of them have a laurel branch, which this one does not, and many are of far superior workmanship.  My other question is about photographing the gem.  It looks like a cameo sometimes (my brain seems to switch it back and forth), and I am trying to find a lighting scheme that will better show that it is intaglio.  All suggestions or corrections are welcome.  Thanks,  V-drome.

BCC G29
Roman Gem Stone
Caesarea Maritima
Intaglio 1st-3rd cent.CE
Draped bust of Apollo? left.
Red-Brown jasper in a
modern setting.
Profile type: F1, Flat top,
flat bottom, upright oval.
11.5 x 9.0 x 2.0mm. (including mounting)
cf. Hamburger #16, but without laurel branch.
cf. Hendler Collection #12 and #13.
Surface find, 1976, Setting created, 1983.
J. Berlin Caesarea Collection
(click for larger pic)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity