Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Other Types of Ancient Coins (Moderators: Bacchus, crawforde)  |  Topic: Imitation of roman aureus of Antoninus Pius from India 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Imitation of roman aureus of Antoninus Pius from India  (Read 362 times)
antoninus1
Consul

« on: May 12, 2019, 04:31:50 pm »

From time to time indian imitations of roman aurei appear on the market. For example CNG sold a collection about 2 years ago. The coins served for commercial use and for jewellery.

I could acquire one piece which copies an aureus of my preferred emperor Antoninus Pius combining the obverse with a reverse from Faustina. Typical is the blundered obverse legend (but consisting of a kind of letters) and the correct reverse legend which looks as if it was intended. Was it to avoid troubles with roman authorities when pretending an original coin by using the emperor´s name?
The weight is 7,03 grams. (First picture)

Recently I saw another "contemporary imitation" in an auction which differs a lot (second picture). It seems to be cast, has a different style ( I would say cruder and  more "Indian") and both reverse and obverse are of Antoninus´. The obverse legend is completely blundered (only circles and strokes), but the reverse is again almost correct. The weight is only 6,24 grams which should have caused problems when the coin was used for trade, except the value was determined by it´s weight.

Maybe this coin is not contemporary (still ancient, but later) and not even a coin but rather a piece of jewellery? I couldn´t find a similar piece so far except one, a copy of an aureus of Faustina, in Paula J. Turner´s "Roman Coins from India" (third picture). So I didn´t bid on it.

What do you think?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Other Types of Ancient Coins (Moderators: Bacchus, crawforde)  |  Topic: Imitation of roman aureus of Antoninus Pius from India « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop