Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin of the Day (Moderator: LordBest)  |  Topic: Vespasian Sestertius Temple of Isis (one of my "dream coins") 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vespasian Sestertius Temple of Isis (one of my "dream coins")  (Read 461 times)
FlaviusDomitianus
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« on: May 10, 2019, 04:50:15 am »

Hello everyone.

I've been very excited in finally holding in my hands a coin that's been on the top of my wishlist for so long.

It's an extremely rare type, showing for the first time, on Roman coinage, a temple dedicated to a foreign deity.

From an historical point of view, I should mention the fact that, according to Svetonius, Domitian escaped during the Vitellian turmoils, disguised as Isis priest.

The coin is from the same die pair as BMCRE 780 and from the one sold by CNG (E.A. 256, 330).

Moreover the coin is obverse die-linked with my examples of RIC 70 and 97 (not in the gallery).

I'm glad to share it.

Kind regards

Alberto

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-155154

orfew
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 01:47:27 pm »

Wow Alberto, I am glad you got that one. The reverse is wonderful.

FlaviusDomitianus
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 02:48:40 pm »

Thanks Andrew, I love it!

Alberto

Jay GT4
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Leave the gun, take the Canoli!

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 08:56:51 pm »

Great coin Alberto!

My Gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=18312

IG: @artisan.flooring
J. Grande
FlaviusDomitianus
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 01:43:56 am »

Great coin Alberto!

Thanks Jay,

I'm really excited about this!

Alberto

gallienus1
Caesar

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 05:06:30 am »

A great addition Alberto! As you say very significant as evidence of the empire showing it is willing to accommodate the beliefs of the people it rules over. But even more than that, it is an exceptionally good example of skillful coin design, simple, clear and pleasing to the eye, it is about as good as it gets.

Best regards,

Steve
FlaviusDomitianus
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 05:57:20 am »

Quote from: gallienus1 on May 22, 2019, 05:06:30 am
A great addition Alberto! As you say very significant as evidence of the empire showing it is willing to accommodate the beliefs of the people it rules over. But even more than that, it is an exceptionally good example of skillful coin design, simple, clear and pleasing to the eye, it is about as good as it gets.

Best regards,

Steve

Thanks Steve.

These are indeed the coins that make the collection of Roman coins so exciting.

Alberto

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin of the Day (Moderator: LordBest)  |  Topic: Vespasian Sestertius Temple of Isis (one of my "dream coins") « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop