Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Roman Coins (Moderator: Severus_Alexander)  |  Topic: Flea Market Finds 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Flea Market Finds  (Read 323 times)
Kevin M
Praetorian

« on: May 16, 2019, 10:02:35 am »

Normally I don't purchase ancients at a flea market but these coins came cheap and were from a batch of well circulated and well patinated coins. The smaller follis appears to be a Justin and Sophie one  while the larger may be an Anastasias or Justinian piece. The smallest I don't recognize and it may not be Byzantine at all. Any help attributing that one would be much appreciated. Not exactly a treasure trove but for $20 the patina was worth it.
Molinari
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Herakles cheated!

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 10:04:21 am »

Nice finds, I think.

pogh_poor
Caesar

I love this forum!

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 10:58:34 am »

The middle size coin isn't Justin II and Sophia but rather:

BYZANTINE EMPIRE
PHOCAS and LEONTIA, 602-610 AD
AE 40 Nummi. Antioch mint. Struck 604-605 AD
Phocas (left) wears crown with pendilia, holds globus cruciger; Leontia (right), holds cruciform sceptre; cross between their heads / Large M between ANNO and III; cross above; THEUP in exergue

DOC II 85; SB 671

Pogh_poor

All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.
antoninus1
Consul

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 01:26:18 pm »

The small coin seems to be this type from Phokis:
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=5355885
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Roman Coins (Moderator: Severus_Alexander)  |  Topic: Flea Market Finds « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop