Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Scarab inscription any translations?  (Read 2753 times)

Offline Maria H

• Legionary
Scarab inscription any translations?
« on: May 06, 2019, 04:16:06 am »
I have had this ring for many years.  It was passed down through my family and I wear it all the time.  I would love to know what the inscription means.  Any help?

I am a collector of coins and antiquities.  I am so happy to have found this site.  Are any of you familiar with Leunumismatik?  If so what is their reputation for coins?

Thank you in advance,

Maria

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Scarab inscription any translations?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 07:18:35 am »
With the exception of FORVM, the host of this discussion, and our Procurator Monetae members, whom we highly recommend, we do not allow opinions of other dealers here. If it is good, it is free advertising, and I don't want to give away free advertising. Even worse, if it is bad, it is bad mouthing my competitors, which is rude.

The other exception is our Notorious Fake Seller List, but those are not my competitors, they are criminals.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Maria H

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 10:01:48 am »
My apologies.  I did not know.  I would still love any information someone could give on the scarab.

Offline Russ

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 11:43:14 am »
Hi Maria,
   From the photos you posted, your scarab appears to be genuine/ancient. Design motifs with sphinxes are a well-known type. They seemingly first appear during the New Kingdom and were made down to the Late Period.
   For similar examples, with winged uraeus(?), see:
1.   Steinbüchel, Anton. Scarabees Egyptiens Figures du Musee des Antiques de sa Majeste L’Empereur, Antoine Strauss, Vienna, 1824: Plate III, No. 182. The collection was subsequently transferred to the Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna. Sadly, this scarab was one of those looted during World War II.
2.   Petrie, W.M.F. Buttons & Design Scarabs, London, 1925: p. 23, Plate XIII, No. 817.
3.   Loud, Gordon (Field Director). Megiddo II, Seasons of 1935-39, Plates, The University of Chicago, Oriental Institute Publication, Volume LXII, Chicago, 1948: Plates 152, 157 and 158, Nos 152 and 175.
4.    Matouk, Fouad S. Corpus du Scarabee egyptien, Volume 2, Analyse Thematique, Beirut, 1977. Pages 105 and 384, Nos 593 and 594.
5.   Giveon, Raphael. Egyptian Scarabs from Western Asia from the Collections of the British Museum, Orbis Biblicus et Orientalis, Series Archaeologica 3, Freiburg/Göttingen, 1985: page 180, Nos 48260 and 48188, page 180, Nos. 11 and 12.
6.   Aubet, Maria E. et al. The Phoenician Cemetery of Tyre Al Bass II, Scarabs and Seals from the 2002-2005 Seasons at Tyre Al Bass; pages 388 and 400, Fig.5.21, dated to Third Intermediate Period, circa 750-700 B.C. in Bulletin d’Archaeologie et d’Architecture Lebanaises, Beyrouth, 2014.
        The inscription is pictorial, symbolic, so it doesn't really "say" anything. The sphinx represents the king, the figure in front of it may represent the goddess of truth Maat, and the winged serpent, kingly power.
       I hope this helps.
Russ

Offline Maria H

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 04:44:17 pm »
Russ,

Just found your reply!! It made my day.  Thank you so very much.  I really appreciate it.

Maria

All coins are guaranteed for eternity