Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Better broken or low grade?  (Read 2148 times)

Offline Basileus Nikephoros Antialcidas

• Consul
  • Nihil tam munitum quod non expugnari pecunia possi
Better broken or low grade?
« on: April 30, 2019, 08:49:52 am »
Hello! I would like to ask your opinion on what a collector should choose. If there is a coin (a tetradrachm for me) you would like to purchase and is very expensive in xf condition and you can find it in much lower price in vf and also in the same price in xf with also a good strike but it has not really a big, but big enough piece broken, but with the piece given with the coin. What would be the preference by the majority of the collectors, is a broken coin really that bad? Thank you all for your help!
ABSQUE ARGENTO OMNIA VANA

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Better broken or low grade?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 12:00:49 pm »
Each to his own.  I hate a broken coin.  Others may have different opinion.  I rather own a more common coin in better condition.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 12:10:56 pm »
This is something each one has to decide for himself, there are no official norms  :-\.

But I don't like broken coins neither.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Canaan

• Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=44403
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 01:19:21 pm »
I recently bought a broken Julius Caesar denarius that is on my top wish list for a great price and if not broken i can never acquire it!!!!
My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=44403
Your Numismatics tour guide in Israel

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 02:52:21 pm »
Hi,
The advice you will always see is buy the best you can. The decision will have to always be yours, can you live with it. I  collect coins of Carausius and have a number of worn (but clearly identifiable) pieces, as well as broken coins.

Unless you have very deep pockets compromises will always need to be made. You just have to accept that not everybody will follow your accession criteria and both worn and broken coins can be more difficult to sell. If you can live with them and they tell a story in the collection you are trying to put together, so long as you understand the limitations, the answer is either.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 06:35:46 am »
Hi SV,

I agree with the other posters here, who basically feel that it is a personal preference. Personally, I don't like a broken coin either. And I would rather have an unbroken VF coin than a broken XF coin.

But, sometimes, an opportunity comes along, and you buy a broken coin. For me, that very rarely happens. In fact, off the top of my head, I can think of only one broken coin I purchased.

This is the coin (scroll down, third coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/g_syria_sel_pt03.htm

The fact that it is broken is the very reason I have it. If it wasn't broken, I probably wouldn't own that issue - because it would be so expensive that it wouldn't justify purchasing it.

Meepzorp

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 07:53:01 am »
I have gone both routes in the past (I've bought several worn coins and a few higher grade broken examples), yet in the long-run I have always wished that I'd passed on both and waited for an "obvious" choice.

... but yah, I totally understand the need to snag a non-perfect coin when it becomes available in order to fill a hole in your collection (but again, these never end-up being my favourite coins)

Ummm, but if you twist my arm then I'll confess that I usually choose worn over broken ...

... good luck with your tough decision (if you pull the trigger, then please post the winning coin)

;)

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 10:51:43 am »
With two examples available at the same price, I would choose the ‘lower’ grade unbroken coin.

I am not a ‘complete-ist’, but I do understand collectors who are, and who need to consider a broken coin in order to complete a set.

There are many coins graded VF that are quite attractive. I've seen VF coins that I like more than examples graded EF that are not broken, but have some other problem (i.e. die wear, die shift, centering, etc.)

If a coin has broken once, it could break again.

Offline Brennos

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 01:37:14 pm »
I have a coin that is both low grade and broken. However it's one of my favourite coin and I don't really know why indeed...

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-154652

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 09:18:43 pm »
Each coin is different.  Broken may be okay for some or maybe worn is better.  Depends on the coin and ones  financial circumstances.  Given a choice between broken or worn, I would take worn; but then then again??  Hard call to make I think.  You should do what you're comfortable with and find a coin that you don't look at and always wish you had a hadn't bought it.
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity