Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Capricorn reverse, Galba?  (Read 350 times)

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
Capricorn reverse, Galba?
« on: April 20, 2019, 06:51:40 pm »
I initially thought this was Augustus but am now thinking Galba.  My photography skills are lacking, I apologize for that.  In hand I think I see Galba left of the obverse bust and caesar to the right.  Maybe a star in the lower right.  Again, in hand you can make out a v and s under the Capricorn, but it doesn't, really show up in the photo very well.  I found 2 examples at asearch.  Just wondering if I'm correct.  Vital statistics are 21.6 mm and 5.52 gm
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
Re: Capricorn reverse, Galba?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 07:53:21 pm »
I believe you are right. We can read clearly GALBA on the obverse, and the partial legend AUGUSTUS on the reverseMysia, Parium.
DT

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 07:40:01 am »
Thanks Dominic, good to have a second opinion

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 08:04:55 am »
4th example known?  Or are there more out there now?

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=144529

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 06:26:07 pm »
I saw that also.  It was 16 years ago, I would assume more have been found since then.  I'm happy to have it even if it is pretty rough.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity