Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Resources  |  The Members' Gallery (Moderators: Robert_Brenchley, *Alex, Enodia)  |  Topic: Tracy’s Relatively New Gallery 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tracy’s Relatively New Gallery  (Read 3540 times)
Molinari
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

My defeat, if understood, should be my glory

« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2019, 04:15:46 pm »

I hadn’t seen your gallery before.  Great coins—you have a good eye!

Tracy Aiello
Consul

« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2019, 02:02:02 pm »

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I appreciate them.

Tracy

Tracy Aiello
Consul

« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2019, 02:35:37 pm »

Aurelian is just so Third Century  Wink

Capital idea, as  a focal point. Aurelian seems to have a sizable issuance in his name and that of the empress, Severina.  Other names to look out for, on the Palmyrene front: Vabalathus and ZenobiaVabalathus was son of Odenathus and Zenobia of Palmyra.  Zenobia assumed the purple upon Odenathus' (rather suspicious) death, with Vabalathus as nominal king.  One of the issues pairing Vabalathus with Aurelian would fit in nicely here.  Smiley Zenobia is quite the rarityUndecided   

Even as a French speaker, I still find it tiring to read some of the numismatic works, such as RPC 7.1 (M. Spoerri Butcher). It's the wading through a multitude of languages (French, Latin, Greek...). Other writers are not a problem. 

Learning 'numismatic' French  will at least help you with some other works.  I'm not interested in learning Bulgarian, so am hunting for Varbanov's English translation of his Greek Imperial Coins series.

Anaximander

Anaximander,

There is something about Aurelian's short reign that has drawn me to him historically so I thought that it would bring some sort of discipline to my collecting focus. I would probably bankrupt myself if I simply purchased whatever I found artistically beautiful. Of course I still do plenty of that; witness my Larissian coins.

Somewhere on my list of "to dos" is to search out the sole coinage of Vabalathus. Zenobia's coinage would be a wonderful addition but I fear that the price would be out of my league.

By the way, I really like your gallery and so I recommended it for Gallery of the Year.

Tracy

Tracy Aiello
Consul

« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2020, 06:28:10 pm »

...and now for something completely different (with apologies to Monty Python): a coin from the Sasanian empire. Khusro II to be exact: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-159630

My strong interest in the Sasanian empire has lead me, naturally, to its interesting and challenging coinage. I hope that you enjoy.

Tracy

Anaximander
Praetorian

Anaximander

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2020, 03:41:45 am »

Excellent addition, Tracy.  Your Khusru II is in wonderful condition (sorry, technical term).  You have done homework on the type. Myself, I'm lacking in references, not having invested much effort for the lone example of Sasanian coinage in my collection. Incidentally, it's a Khusru I. http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-155750

Congratulations on achieving the rank of Consul.  Hail Tracy!

The lowly Anaximander, Praetorian.

Anaximander. Member Since 2019.
My ForumAncientCoins gallery
Tracy Aiello
Consul

« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2020, 06:56:51 am »

Excellent addition, Tracy.  Your Khusru II is in wonderful condition (sorry, technical term).  You have done homework on the type. Myself, I'm lacking in references, not having invested much effort for the lone example of Sasanian coinage in my collection. Incidentally, it's a Khusru I. http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-155750

Thank you Anaximander. I appreciate it. I am lucky in that I have full access to the University of Wisconsin – Madison library system. The graduate library contains many numismatic references, most of which circulate. I have access to Göbl's Sasanian Numismatics as well as all of the SNS volumes published to date. In addition, when I am on the library's WiFi I have full access to JSTOR. All of this makes it easy to consult and collect reference books and articles.

Tracy

quadrans
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2020, 02:17:24 pm »

Thank you Anaximander. I appreciate it. I am lucky in that I have full access to the University of Wisconsin – Madison library system. The graduate library contains many numismatic references, most of which circulate. I have access to Göbl's Sasanian Numismatics as well as all of the SNS volumes published to date. In addition, when I am on the library's WiFi I have full access to JSTOR. All of this makes it easy to consult and collect reference books and articles.

Tracy

Yes, I agree with Anaximander, and Tracy you are lucky to have a nice resource... Wink

Joe/Q.

p.s.

Nice Khusru II...  Thumbs Up

Joe

Mark R1
Praetorian

« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2020, 08:27:40 am »

Tracy

Small world. I live in Madison as well. Smiley

Stkp
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2020, 02:30:34 pm »

The research and descriptions of the coins that you post are a pleasure to read. Keep them coming! Stkp

Tracy Aiello
Consul

« Reply #59 on: Yesterday at 06:43:34 am »

Mark,

It is indeed a small world. It's funny that oftentimes one may interact on a discussion board with others without knowing that they might be neighbors.

Tracy

Tracy Aiello
Consul

« Reply #60 on: Yesterday at 06:44:46 am »

The research and descriptions of the coins that you post are a pleasure to read. Keep them coming! Stkp

Thanks Stkp. I appreciate it. Sometimes I think that I go overboard with the research and descriptions but I guess that kind of thing is just in my nature.

Tracy

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Resources  |  The Members' Gallery (Moderators: Robert_Brenchley, *Alex, Enodia)  |  Topic: Tracy’s Relatively New Gallery « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop