Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  History and Archeology (Moderator: David Atherton)  |  Topic: Chicken Trivia 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chicken Trivia  (Read 167 times)
Tacitus
Caesar

« on: July 15, 2019, 09:13:52 am »

Without looking this up, let's see if anyone knows the answer. 

The Sacred Chickens of Rome. ... When the chicken watcher notified the Consul that they were not eating, which constituted a bad omen, he replied, 'Since they do not want to eat, let them drink!' and had them hurled into the sea. The naval battle which ensued saw the near annihilation of the Roman fleet.

The Consul then returned to Rome in shame.  He was impeached, stripped of his Consulship and banished.  Not because of the loss of the fleet, but because he dared to defy the Gods.

Who was this consul?
cicerokid
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 09:35:26 am »

Consul Sanders.

Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas
Carausius
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 09:39:40 am »

I recall it was First Punic War, but I cannot remember the Consul's name!  The below bronze currency bar was issued many years earlier than this naval catastrophe,  but shows how seriously the Romans took their sacred chickens:

Carausius
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 09:40:50 am »

Consul Sanders.

Grin

marylannin
Legionary

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 10:11:39 am »

Publius Claudius Pulcher
Mat
Caesar

Ancient Coin Addict

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 10:27:40 am »

Consul Sanders.

LMAO Grin Thumbs Up

MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients
Tacitus
Caesar

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 10:29:43 am »

Publius Claudius Pulcher

Correct
Meepzorp
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 04:04:54 pm »

Hi folks,

The term "Sacred Chickens" reminds me of a sentence in a spoof of the "Hail Mary" that my uncles used to recite all the time when I was a kid back in the 1970s.

It goes like this:

"Holy Mary, mother of God, chased the chickens around the yard." Smiley

Meepzorp

JBF
Caesar

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 08:25:57 pm »

After Kaddish, a merchant presented a chicken to the Pharaoh (unknown before that time).
The Pharaoh looked at it and said, "it doesn't look like much, and its voice is not very pleasant."
at which point, the merchant said, "yes your highness, but it lays an egg a day."
The pharoah was impressed and brought it home with him on his royal barge.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  History and Archeology (Moderator: David Atherton)  |  Topic: Chicken Trivia « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop