Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Notre Dame de Paris  (Read 3153 times)

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
Notre Dame de Paris
« on: April 15, 2019, 09:47:32 pm »
The spire, which has been lost, although I believe I heard the statues were removed last week.  September 1993.
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline PMah

• Caesar
Re: Notre Dame de Paris
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 09:51:04 pm »
A few gargoyles, which I cannot yet see on news tv if these were damaged.  I think these are on the north tower.

Please post your photos!

Paul 

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 11:46:56 pm »
Look on the bright side, maybe they can do some archaeological investigation underneath, while they are rebuilding??  We wouldn't know about the ancient palace in Mosul, if ISIS had not destroyed the mosque.

There is an underground Neo-Pythagorean basilica at Porto Maggiore, Rome, and there is some speculation that there may have been one at Notre Dame.  Perhaps this is an opportunity to find out!

If God gives you lemons, make lemonade ;D  Yes, it is unfortunate that there was a fire, even if it is restored, to me it wouldn't be the same, although I would probably never be able to tell the restoration from the original.

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 06:04:12 am »
The building has been restored/renovated many times over the centuries. So not everything that burnt was 800 years old. The spire in fact dated from the 19th century. A terrible sight, nevertheless.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 10:35:22 am »
PMah is correct, the statues had a lucky escape. The biggest loss will be the stained glass windows I think but I expect that there will be many photographs of those and they will be able to be fully restored.

There is hope for Notre Dame's future, not just because it is such an iconic building, but because several ancient buildings have been saved in the past. In fact the famous Medieval York Minster Cathedral in England suffered a similar devastating fire in 1984 and it has now been beautifully restored, although it took several years and several million pounds. And as JBF mentioned, this fire too enabled archaeologists to discover that the Medieval Cathedral had been built on the foundations of an earlier Norman Cathedral which in turn had been built on the foundations of the Roman Principia in York. Without the fire we would not now know that, I suppose that every cloud has a silver lining.

Alex

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 01:05:08 pm »
Very sad, but I am confident they will make it beautiful again.  This morning they said the most important stained glass survived.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 01:27:21 pm »
As far as an underground Neo-Pythagorean basilica is concerned, that is hypothesized for "Notre Dame de Chartes" not this Notre Dame.  The book I was reading, "Measuring Heaven" talked about both.  Still it seems to me like an opportunity for archaeologists to do some "rescue" archaeology while rebuilding.

Offline PMah

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 05:22:57 pm »
And all this damage and cost likely because some dimwit didn't think "Defense de Fumer" applied to him, didn't use electrician's tape, or didn't feel like waiting around while the tools cooled off.

Paul 

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 11:54:17 pm »
most likely he will live with it the rest of his life.  most people when they do something colosally foolish will feel the regret for it, especially if they hurt others unnecessarily.  Of course, there are some people who won't feel regret.

There are some people who are repeat offenders as far as such foolhardiness is concerned.  They deserve ostracism, but fortunately for them, we don't all get what we deserve.  Maybe fortunately for us all....

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 06:37:08 am »

There are some people who are repeat offenders as far as such foolhardiness is concerned.  They deserve ostracism, but fortunately for them, we don't all get what we deserve.  Maybe fortunately for us all....

It reminds me of Herostratus who put fire in the temple of Artemis to become famous.I hope that in Paris, it wasn’t a volontary act.

PS. Oups! I wasn’t suppose to pronounce Herostratus name....my apologies to the ancient greeks...
DT

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 08:10:50 pm »
The ancients had a good idea to doom such filth to obscurity.  Instead the modern media does the opposite and promotes mass shooters or other malcontents to notoriety.  But, it is interesting that such a practice of destruction for the sake of lasting infamy goes back to ancient times, and is not merely a modern phenomenon.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 04:27:16 pm »
This sort of grandstanding wasn't unknown in the early church; there are several references to 'voluntary martyrs' whose actions weren't encouraged. The only definite detail I can find is that the Synod of Elvira, in Spain, around 305-6, laid down that anyone who was killed for trying to smash an idol was no true martyr, as there was no such precedent in the gospel or among the apostles.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 05:28:19 pm »
In the meantime it seems to have been a short circuit.

Jochen

Offline PMah

• Caesar
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 10:10:40 pm »
It will be interesting to find out.     A "short circuit" can be pure happenstance -- a tree branch falls across the power lines, but wiring design and installation play a major part.  That's my "electricians tape" scenario. 
   Old wires, left undisturbed, rarely cause problems.   It's when people start moving them, patching them, pulling them, or putting nails through them that causes trouble.   "I'll just staple this power cord to this beam... that should keep it out of the way. .."

Paul 

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2019, 02:28:55 pm »
Yesterday a man with gazoline was caught next to another cathedrial in France. Anyone believe it was accidental with Notre Dame right before Easter? Barbarians already infiltrated and now ruin the Western civilisation, as it had once happened with the Roman Empire.

What is next? Louvre or British Museum?

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2019, 04:34:24 pm »
Yesterday a man with gazoline was caught next to another cathedrial in France.

I think it was at St-Patrick’s cathedral in New-York city. But I agree it is scary...
DT

Offline Felisin

• Legionary
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2019, 07:29:23 pm »
Man, watching that happen destroyed me. I remember visiting Notre Dame in 2012. I'm so glad they saved so much of what they did.

Offline Tacitus

• Caesar
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 07:19:08 am »
I am glad so little of the church was actually damaged.  From an engineering standpoint, it could have been much worse.  The flying buttresses are designed to keep the walls from pushing out.  The roof helps stabilize that.  My concern was a collapse inwards after the pressure from the ceiling was removed. 

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2019, 05:23:58 pm »
Outward pressure from the roof balanced by inward pressure from the buttresses. So yes, inward collapse would have been possible. The walls must be pretty solid.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2019, 06:12:32 pm »
Dear Friends!

I would like to hear what do you think, that some people think that it is more important to help needy people with the donated money than to rebuild some old walls.

Jochen

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 06:30:26 pm »
Sounds like politics (and religion).  Generally speaking, however, if we wait for all human suffering to stop before we use our creative energies, we’ll never get started with anything.   I think C.S. Lewis spoke about this theme in a lecture entitled “Learning in Wartime.”

I say rebuild.

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2019, 06:34:29 pm »
Sorry Jochen, but I think that question has no relevance on a coin forum.

However, that said, I will answer your question with regard to myself. I donate my own money to the charities that are important to me, whatever charities they may be. What other people might think is of no importance at all.

Alex.

Offline labienus

• Caesar
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2019, 10:58:35 am »
Yes, it is definitely politics.
There was a ..... (as Joe always asks, stay polite) woman in France representative of a student union (I leave you imagine from which side) who said that people crying after Notre Dame and wanting to rebuild it were (in French) : un délire de petits blancs i.e a delirium of little white people.
Her name : Hafsa Askar, vice-pres. of UNEF from the city of Lille (Northern France).
No comment.

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2019, 01:55:20 pm »
Mad King Ludwig bankrupted Bavaria building Neuschwanstein and his other castles, but when I went there thirty years ago (seems like tomorrow), the locals thought he was a frickin' genius because of all the tourism bucks it brings in.  btw Neuschwanstein (new swan castle) is what the Disney castle is based on.  So, yes I think it can be argued that while it is a bunch of old walls, it is a bunch of old walls that people come from all over the world to look at, and pay good money to do so.  Businesses make money off of them, and governments tax them, and people go home with memories and are changed (usually for the better) by the experience.

Would Rommell have spared Paris if it was not such a cultural center?  Would Alexander have spared Athens, or would he have destroyed it like he did for Thebes, if _it_ had not been such a cultural center?  (I would say cultural Mecca, but Mecca is not a cultural Mecca.)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity