Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Barbarous Radiate or Fake??  (Read 455 times)

Offline Alfred D2

• Legionary
Barbarous Radiate or Fake??
« on: April 15, 2019, 02:49:50 pm »
Do you think that this coin is a barbarous radiate from the third century or not?

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Barbarous Radiate or Fake??
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 03:37:47 pm »
Size?  Weight?

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 03:42:45 pm »
Clearer pictures would help also... It is almost impossible to tell what it is from these photos.... Try putting the coin on your finger and holding it at different angles to bring out the detail!

( DJ.... Look at the bottom of the photos!  :P    ).   

Lee S.

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 04:04:30 pm »
Alfred D2,

Using a ruler in your images is not a reliable way of measuring your coins when requiring help. Measure them first and then state the size in the body of your text. If you don't own a coin scale, then please also state this in one of your posts so as not to be constantly reminded. Forvm shop has a digital coin scale for sale if you need to buy one.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=861

Thanks

Edit. I see that you have now included weight and size in one of your previous posts.  +++

Offline Alfred D2

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 04:24:29 pm »
diameter is 16mm and its mass is 1.3g

i am sorry about the photo quality but these are the best i can do with a phone camera. :-[

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 01:13:39 pm »
Edge is a bit odd, but I think that is just from corrosion.  I think I can read part of Tetricus's name--Tetricus II. 

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 12:05:37 pm »
I am enjoying the id section of Forvum tonight! My first ever ancient coin was a Tetricus II found in a "rummage pot" at the long closed "coins and curioes" over in the UK... Sadly, like the shop, the coin vanished at some point in the last 40 years or so..

My opinion is, judging by the blundered look of the letters on the reverse, that the coin is probably an ancient imitive.... But by this point in the western empire, standards of die engraving had fallen so low in many examples... It may be impossible to tell...

Cool coin! 👍👍

Lee S.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 05:17:06 pm »
The portrait looks like Tetricus II.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405