Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Please call if you have questions 252-646-1958. Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Resources  |  Identification Help (Moderators: Varangian, Arados)  |  Topic: Barbarous Radiate or Fake?? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Barbarous Radiate or Fake??  (Read 226 times)
Alfred D2
Legionary

« on: April 15, 2019, 12:49:50 pm »

Do you think that this coin is a barbarous radiate from the third century or not?
djmacdo
Tribunus Plebis 2017
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

I love this forum!

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 01:37:47 pm »

Size?  Weight?
Lee S
Comitia Curiata
Conservator
Caesar

γεια μας !!!

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 01:42:45 pm »

Clearer pictures would help also... It is almost impossible to tell what it is from these photos.... Try putting the coin on your finger and holding it at different angles to bring out the detail!

( DJ.... Look at the bottom of the photos!  Tongue    ).   

Lee S.
Arados
Comitia Curiata
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 02:04:30 pm »

Alfred D2,

Using a ruler in your images is not a reliable way of measuring your coins when requiring help. Measure them first and then state the size in the body of your text. If you don't own a coin scale, then please also state this in one of your posts so as not to be constantly reminded. Forvm shop has a digital coin scale for sale if you need to buy one.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=861

Thanks

Edit. I see that you have now included weight and size in one of your previous posts.  Thumbs Up

Alfred D2
Legionary

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 02:24:29 pm »

diameter is 16mm and its mass is 1.3g

i am sorry about the photo quality but these are the best i can do with a phone camera. Embarrassed
djmacdo
Tribunus Plebis 2017
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

I love this forum!

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 11:13:39 am »

Edge is a bit odd, but I think that is just from corrosion.  I think I can read part of Tetricus's name--Tetricus II. 
Lee S
Comitia Curiata
Conservator
Caesar

γεια μας !!!

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 10:05:37 am »

I am enjoying the id section of Forvum tonight! My first ever ancient coin was a Tetricus II found in a "rummage pot" at the long closed "coins and curioes" over in the UK... Sadly, like the shop, the coin vanished at some point in the last 40 years or so..

My opinion is, judging by the blundered look of the letters on the reverse, that the coin is probably an ancient imitive.... But by this point in the western empire, standards of die engraving had fallen so low in many examples... It may be impossible to tell...

Cool coin! 👍👍

Lee S.
Robert_Brenchley
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Honi soit qui mal y pense.

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 03:17:06 pm »

The portrait looks like Tetricus II.

Robert Brenchley

My gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Resources  |  Identification Help (Moderators: Varangian, Arados)  |  Topic: Barbarous Radiate or Fake?? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop