Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: roman oil lamps ?  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Martinus82

• Legionary
roman oil lamps ?
« on: April 14, 2019, 12:07:30 pm »
Hello,

i`m new in this Forum, i collect some years coins and artifacts. in past times, i have reed something about fakes.

So, i would like to show some artifacts for getting some feedback about.
The following lamps should be roman, abot 2. - 3. century AD, is this correct, are there real or fake ?

Thank you for feedback.

Offline Strobilus2

• IMPERATOR
  • Praetorian
  • Ancient Lamps Expert
    • RomQ Collection - Ancient Lamps
Re: roman oil lamps ?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 04:29:07 pm »
These first four lamps are all types found in Jordan but I'm afraid your doubts about their authenticity are probably correct:

1 & 4) Both are likely to be fake. A large number of fake copies of these distinctive 'Jerash' lamps with zoomorphic handles began circulating on the market about fifteen years ago. They are much fatter and cruder than the real ones.

3) Crude fake of the 'Darom' (northern variety) type.

2) Another type of lamp found in Jordan but also likely to be fake.

If they were real, only number 3 would be of the Roman period; the others would be of the Byzantine or Islamic periods.
David Knell

All coins are guaranteed for eternity