Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Value of fakes?  (Read 488 times)

Offline Daniel J

• Praetorian
Value of fakes?
« on: April 10, 2019, 07:00:15 pm »
Say you have a fake in your collection. What’s the best way to then go about appraising it’s value?

Are they garbage or does anyone have some in their collection they really enjoy?

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Value of fakes?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 07:10:14 pm »
There are a few people who collect fakes, but for most of us they are without value and ought to be destroyed.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 07:17:59 pm »
Some people actively collect fakes, and some are very sought after...Becker, Slavey, Paduans.

Some are dangerous but most are pretty obvious.

Offline Nikola K

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 12:45:38 pm »
I keep them in the collection - they are good lessons and can be used to educate others. Sometimes I try to acquire them if they are high quality, if I can get them cheaply. There are collectors that are acquiring forgers dies as well.

I would not resell the fake coin / dies, since I do not know what the other person is going to do with it.

For the value I would say it depends on the fake itself - what is the quality, rarity of the coin and who the forger is. Becker and other famous forgers are collectibles, you can do a quick search for Becker or Paduaner and see for how much their work has been sold. A high quality fake / replica of a rare type can be worth some money.

The one I have in my collection that I quite enjoy is this one. It is much nicer in hand :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity