Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ptolemy I Soter Tetradrachm Undertype?  (Read 3962 times)

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
Re: Ptolemy I Soter Tetradrachm Undertype?
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2019, 02:20:52 pm »
Is there a consensus on the meaning of the Δ seen on Ptolemy tets?  I've seen it referred to as "the signature of the master engraver."

There are several small letters like DELTA (also KAPPA, ETA) that appear on some tetradrachms (maybe some other types).  The DELTA is seen on many types over a long time period so it may be a stretch to link it to a particular person unless that person was an extraordinarily prolific die cutter.  OTOH, it might be the 'signature' of a person on some dies but not others.  Some dies that bear such marks are better artistically than others.  Then again, maybe the letters denote workshops. 

The small letters tucked into small spaces in the design don't seem to play a big role in cataloging types like ordinary control letters, monograms, and design elements do.  Maybe they help give some coins a nifty legend.   Imho the artistic quality of the die matters much more than whether or not one of the small 'hidden' letters is present.  If only those coin makers had left us a better written record of what they were doing...

PtolemAE

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2019, 08:34:02 pm »
Quote from: PtolemAE on April 17, 2019, 02:20:52 pm

If only those coin makers had left us a better written record of what they were doing...

PtolemAE

Your thoughts on the hidden delta make perfect sense, just one of so many different mysteries.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2019, 01:23:16 am »
Hmmm, Interesting

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2019, 02:17:24 am »
Quote from: PtolemAE on April 17, 2019, 02:20:52 pm

If only those coin makers had left us a better written record of what they were doing...

PtolemAE

Your thoughts on the hidden delta make perfect sense, just one of so many different mysteries.

Yes, indeed.  Ptolemaic coinage presents so many enigmas that it is easily tempting to see relationships that may not be meaningful, and hard to see those that are. 

PtolemAE

All coins are guaranteed for eternity