Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bronze disease question  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Blayne W

• Consul
Bronze disease question
« on: June 02, 2019, 11:26:12 pm »
I pulled out a group of coins that i have been soaking in distilled water for about a month to clean today and about half of them seem to have developed this greenish hue.  I had received a couple of coins this colour in my uncleaned lots but when ever I did the scratching test with a tooth pick, it seemed way to hard for bronze disease.

Today when I tested one coin the green covering came off pretty easy.  It wasn't dusty like coming off but more scratched off.   I do have some Gringotts BD killer whihch I am ready to use. Also if I do use the chemical, do I do the whole batch that was soaking together to stop one that shows no effects today from getting infected later.

I just want to guage everyones opionion that this is potentially bronze disease and I should go through with the killer, or am I looking at a soft patina.   I havent had to deal with Bronze disease before, so learning as I go here.   

Thanks

Blayne

Offline B-Chicago

• Praetorian
Re: Bronze disease question
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 05:27:50 pm »
looks to me like :

- they are ready for a boil and a scrub - (healthy does of baking soda in water - 15 minutes)

- does not look like bronze disease

All coins are guaranteed for eternity