Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Seal Eagle Theodosios? Officer? 6th-7th Century  (Read 1162 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Byzantine Seal Eagle Theodosios? Officer? 6th-7th Century
« on: April 06, 2019, 03:06:37 pm »
I have an new interesting Byzantine seal which measures 21.66 mm by 18.64 mm and weighs 10.58 g.  On the obverse is an eagle with outstretched wings and head right with a cross above within a beaded circle.  On the reverse, there is a cruciform monogram which I believe can be read  :Greek_Delta:  :Greek_epsilon:  :Greek_Theta_2:  :Greek_Iota:  :Greek_Omicron::Greek_Upsilon_2:  - Θεοδοσίου - Theodosios?  within a beaded circle. It looks like it may be 6th-7th Century?   Am I correct?  The seller attributed the seal to an officer but does having an eagle necessary make it a seal of any officer?  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Byzantine Seal Eagle Theodosios? Officer? 6th-7th Century
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 12:28:27 pm »
Yes, correct. Theodosiou, c. 550-650. I'd say it would be a stretch to attribute this to somebody in the military. It could also well belong to someone in the bureaucracy or a judge. I'd have to check, but I do think it is safe to assume that clergy (bishops etc.) did not use the eagle as their device, as that is old symbol of the state.
Regards
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 06:04:25 pm »
Thank your confirmation of my interpretation!  I was able to find an example of a seal from a monk with eagle among the collection of Dumbarton Oaks

Μιχαήλ μοναχοῦ.

(Seal of) Michael monk.
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 10:59:19 am »
Nicely found. However, the monogram can also be solved Michaeliou, with no need for the 'monachou', as the N is possible but not necessary for the solution (it is formed out of M and X). It's a much rarer name than Michael, but still known for a small number of persons. The DO comment, I see, mentions this solution, but the argument for their preferred reading does not make sense - I quote: "but it seems more likely that we would find the somewhat common name Michael in conjunction with the somewhat common title of monk". This only applies when we have to chose between Michaelios monk and Michael monk. Then indeed, the latter solution must be preferred.

Can you find an example where there's a higher degree of certainty?
Regards
Gert

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 12:26:48 pm »
Great seal,  +++

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity